[Peace] possible speaker:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Thu Oct 3 13:15:47 CDT 2002

I just received this from a fellow IMC-ista and thought it might interest
AWARE folks.

--Sascha

***

Hello,

The Independent Media Group a.k.a. Indymedia-Israel was formed in
September 2000 by groups and individuals, in order to provide strong
independent media so critically needed in our region. These past two years
have been ones of terrible violence, terror, human rights
violations, social unrest and economic crisis. Justice both in Palestine
and within the Israeli society is becoming increasingly rare,
and our struggle for political, social and environmental change is only
getting harder. Our belief is that today media^Öactivism is one
of the main frontiers of social and political struggle and that great hope
and change can come to both Israelis and Palestinians from
the work we are doing.

After two years of work that we feel that it is time that we reach out to
groups and individuals around the world that share the same
values we do. By contacting and meeting we hope that we can build betters
networks of support, information, understanding that will
bring to change both locally and globally.

As one of the founding members of indymedia-Israel an as an experienced
activist in Israel (green action, refusing military service,
Taayush and many social and political actions) I^Òm one of the people who
are working on this task. I will be coming to the United
States through out November. I will be available for meetings,
presentations, talks, video-screenings and also if possible fund raising
opportunities. There are many issues I could talk about, independent media
in the Israeli context, dissent in Israel, the conflict in
the east Mediterranean and globalization, the non-Zionist groups in the
Jewish Israeli society and more. There is also a possibility of
video screening made by our group.

I will definitely be both in the New york area and the bay area. I will
gladly come to speak any place else in North America providing
my travel expenses will be covered.

I^Òm really sorry about the short notice but will be grateful for any help
setting up meetings etc.

Peace,

Ronen Eidelman ^Ö indymedia -israel

P.s. I will gladly send any more info needed, here are a few words about
what we have done in indymedia-Israel in the past two years

*Develop a web site in English and Hebrew (www.indymedia.org.il) with
news, commentary, open publising, calendar and more.
*Publish 'Khan', a bi-monthly 40-page magazine in Hebrew that is
circulated country wide in 10,000-20,000 copies.
*Produce many documentaries aired on public access t.v. and in public
screening. For example: 'Occupation Journal' five episodes of the
video magazine 'Civil Diary'. A special six-hour broadcast 'Thirty-five
Years of Occupation'
*Provide community based radio via the Internet.
*Host many workshops and training sessions which have given both private
individuals and other organizations the basic tools to being
more effective citizen journalists in writing, graphics, video and audio.
* Provide a program for young Israelis who avoid military service and
volunteer in Indymedia as their public service.

reply:

ronen at indymedia.org.il