[Peace] Two Immediate Actions (fwd)

Matt Reichel reichel at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 16 17:00:14 CDT 2002

	From our friends at VITW. Seems like a GOOD idea.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 16 Oct 2002 14:04:29 PDT
From: Liana S. Foxvog <Liana.S.Foxvog at directory.reed.edu>
To: span-news at peace-action.org
Subject: Two Immediate Actions

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:40:07 -0500
From: Voices in the Wilderness

October 15 2002 TWO IMMEDIATE ACTIONS

As the Security Council begins today to debate a new resolution relating to military action against Iraq, Voices would like to generate a huge number of letters to specific members of the SC. I spoke two days ago with Mr. Hans von Sponeck and he concurred that this could be an effective action at this time.

Letters should go to three of the permanent members of the SC (France, China, Russia) and to Ireland (currently president of the SC) and to Denmark (currently heading the EU).

Here are the FAX numbers and E-MAILS for the member states we are suggesting:

Permanent Representative of the People's Republic of China to the UN FAX: 212-634-7626 e-mail: chinun at undp.org

Permanent Representative of Denmark to the UN FAX: 212-308-3384 e-mail: nycmis at umdk

Permanent Representative of France to the UN FAX: 212-421-6889 e-mail: france at un.int

Permanent Representative of Ireland to the UN FAX: 212-752-4726 e-mail:irlun at undp.org

Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to the UN FAX: 212-628-0252 e-mail: rusun at un.int

Write short letters saying how as US citizens we have worked to keep our nation from escalation of the economic and military warfare on Iraq. Tell them that now we ask them to do all in their power to keep the US from carrying out its war plan against the Iraqi people. And we would like to keep track of how many such letters are sent. Just send a brief e-mail to info at vitw.org saying you sent some number of letters. We are encouraging other organizations to begin similar campaigns.

And while you are at the writing desk: Please write to Jimmy Carter. Congratulate him on receiving the Nobel Peace Prize, and ask that he continue to use his unique position to speak out vigorously against military action in Iraq and against the administration's arrogant policies toward the UN and toward other nations (the so-called Bush Doctrine). Write to President Jimmy Carter, FAX to 404-331-0283. If you would rather leave a message, you can call the Carter offices at 404-331-3900 and ask for extension 125 to leave a recorded message. Please do this now as the UN debate is beginning.

Thanks for this and for all that you are doing for peace.

All best,
Kathy Kelly
Gabe Huck
Jeff Guntzel