[Peace] mandela

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Wed Sep 4 21:02:30 CDT 2002

Mandela 'Appalled' by U.S. Policy on Iraq
By Brendan Boyle
Monday September 2 10:13 AM EST

<A HREF="http://ca.news.yahoo.com/020902/5/oox8.html">
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/020902/5/oox8.html</A>

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South African statesman Nelson Mandela condemned
U.S. President George W. Bush's policy on Iraq on Monday, saying he was
"appalled" by U.S. threats of military action. "What they are introducing is
chaos in international affairs and we condemn that in the strongest terms,"
Mandela told reporters outside his Johannesburg home. "We are really appalled
by any country whether it is a superpower or a poor country that goes outside
the United Nations and attacks independent countries," Mandela said. Bush
says Iraq is part of an "axis of evil" and that Washington wants a "regime
change" -- a euphemism for ousting Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. Most of
America's closest allies have withheld backing for military action against
Iraq, particularly if there is no mandate from the United Nations. Mandela
blamed hawks in the Bush administration for the hardline policy over Iraq. "I
think it is his advisers that are misleading (Bush). The United States must
be exemplary in everything that they do." Mandela, 84, was South Africa's
first democratically elected president. He championed the fight against white
minority rule and spent 27 years in apartheid prisons. "No one must be
allowed to take the law into their own hands," he said. "The message they are
sending is that if you are afraid of a veto in the Security Council then you
can do what you want," Mandela said before talks with French President
Jacques Chirac, the first of a stream of VIP visitors to pay their respects.
PHONE CALL TO GEORGE BUSH SENIOR Mandela said he had tried and failed to
reach Bush by telephone. But he said he had spoken to Secretary of State
Colin Powell and to Bush's father, former President George Bush, and asked
him to raise the Iraq issue with his son. Chirac, one of nearly 100 world
leaders in Johannesburg for the World Summit on Sustainable Development, had
no comment about Iraq after the talks. But Mandela said they discussed the
dangers of ignoring the United Nations and taking unilateral action to attack
Iraq. "I'm glad to say that President Chirac agreed with me completely," he
said. British Prime Minister Tony Blair has so far been Bush's most
supportive ally over Iraq. Blair was also in Johannesburg on Monday but made
no comment on the Iraqi crisis and Mandela's office said he did not seek a
meeting with the former president.

Free, safe e-mail, The On-line Learning Series of Courses, Web Co-Hosting and
much, much more.

<A HREF="http://www.netn.org/">http://www.netn.org</A>

P E A C E