[Peace] from CCRA newsletter

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 11 23:59:22 CDT 2002

Doug -

I really don't understand this.  What is the "CCRA" that we should care
about it's newsletter?  Who is this guy who can't spell "site"?  Don't get
me wrong: I agree that this "day that changed America" stuff is absurd, and
MOST of his statements about getting involved and defending the Bill of
Rights are of course right on (...but when was the Second Amendment under
any threat?  I missed that one?)  I'm not sure his example of arming the
pilots is a good one, given that firing a gun in a jet at high altitudes is
nearly as bad an idea as firing a gun in a submarine, but I take his point
that organized action can be effective.

The quote from William Pitt is something we can appreciate, but whose
comments are those at the end?  There was no declaration of war Sept 14 or
since - it was an authorization to use force under the President's "war
powers", actually a dodge of the Constitutional responsibility of Congress
to declare war.  And why does this guy think "liberals" are any less likely
to pound the war drums than so-called conservatives?  Has he ever heard of
FDR?  JFK?  Johnson?  Even the alleged liberals Carter and Clinton?  "Petty
bickering", I'll grant, but not because a few questions are starting to come
up about our President-Select, his contrived war and his corporate
class-mates instead of slavish devotion to the hawks' "REAL life concerns".

Ricky

[snip]
News from The Sight M1911

[snip]
I continue to hear the talking heads, particularly the media wonks, talking
about 9-11 as "the day that changed America." In my most charitable mood, I
hope they mean that this day shook us out of our complacency and shattered
our sense of being insulated from the rest of the world. But even if this
most hopeful interpretation of a "changed America" is correct,  and I doubt
that, the statement is still an error of the highest magnitude and demands
rebuke.

[snip] we need a lot more than one soul to get concerned and motivated about
the erosion of our civil rights that has occurred since the 9-11 attacks.
If, in fact, the message is that we must give up our civil rights and
cherished freedoms bcause "America has changed" then we have to preach,
protest, demonstrate, lobby, send cards and letters, and whatever else it
takes to send the message that we are not willing to trade our liberty for
some talking head's vision of "security." In other words, get involved. Your
letters, presence, and opinions matter.

It's tempting to look at the situation and say, "What can I do? My voice
doesn't count for anything." The fact is that it does. The campaign to arm
the pilots is an excellent example of how people can get organized and
influence policy and law to the very highest levels of government. That
campaign has been an uphill battle, but the pilots and their supporters
succeeded in making the administration reverse its position, and even
managed to get some long-time foes like Barbara Boxer to jump on the
bandwagon.

We have done a decent job of defending the Second Amendment. The next
battle is shaping up on the First, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Amendments.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves" -William Pitt, House of
Commons, 18 November 1783
{{{{{{{Warren comments: There DID seem to be a re-ordering of priorities, as
inanities were buried under REAL life concerns. Even Washington liberals
were compelled to make sense, passing the Declaration of War on Sept 14.
Immediately  thereafter they realized that success of those goals meant
defeat of their virulent liberal policies, and as their careers mean more to
them than freeing the world from terrorism, they have been backpedaling ever
since. Under the onslaught of their petty bickering, and echoes from TV and
east coast news, the citizenry, too, is sliding back to the previous
priorities. WD}}}}}}

“We disrespect people sacrificing their possessions for liquor and such.  I
ask why we respect them for sacrificing themselves in war.” – Chandrakirti