[Peace] Call for News

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 15 00:14:17 CDT 2002

I rarely post to this list, because I'm already over-committed
elsewhere. I admire the great efforts that go into trying to stop the
war and prevent it from spreading to across the globe.

I also read the News-Gazette, the CU Cityview, and listen to AM580. I
know how little press your efforts get at times, how bad the coverage
can be at times, and how disappointing that can be. But there is one
area where the coverage is there for the taking and that always amazes
me how little it is utilized, the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media
Center.

Please remember that the UC IMC website is ALWAYS available 24/7 to post
your news at: <http://www.ucimc.org/>

And there is no need to be actively involved with the IMC (although we'd
welcome that) to use it (although many of you are involved here, which
further perplexes me when I see how little material on local events gets
posted.)

There is the community calendar, where people can be informed of
meetings and events.
There is the Newswire, where our idea of news is much broader than at
the N-G's. Post news or even just your commentary on the stupid and
deficient coverage offered in the dominant media.

Or even just some pictures of the Quad last Wednesday. Come on, I know
they're out there.

And if you're the type that always makes a typo and doesn't catch it
before it gets posted, you can now log onto our website and use your own
password to edit your stories.
Plus you can now upload mp3 files for the listening pleasure and
informational benefit of the IMC users.

And it doesn't have to be official AWARE stuff. Everybody's point of
view is welcome on IMC. This story on the Amnesty USA director's visit
is a great example of how easy it is to turn your information into a
story:
<http://www.ucimc.org/newswire/display/7656/index.php>

Got a boss that'll fire you if you've been hanging out with those darn
peaceniks? Then just make up your own alias. We don't care, as long as
it helps the word get out. Give it a try.

And just so you know, the IMC Newswire now has a special Local news
section that keeps local news at the top of the Newswire if you check
the box in the story submit form that let's us know that it is a story
of local interest.

Plus it is easy now to make any story a Feature, so good stuff gets the
middle of the page like it should. YOUR story could be next and can even
get there automatically if it gets enough positive comments from
readers. Be sure and rate the stories you read to help us implement this
feature.

Remember, if you're not getting coverage on IMC, it's only because
you're not trying. Try it today at: <http://www.ucimc.org/>

Mike Lehman