[Peace] Loewen, in-residence at Unit One - schedule

Haber, Laura LHaber at admin.housing.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 20 14:26:23 CDT 2002

please forward:

James Loewen will be a Guest-in-Residence at Unit One/Allen Hall 9/22-10/12

James Loewen wrote the best-selling Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your
High School History Textbook Got Wrong, in part a critique of existing
textbooks, but also an account of American history as it should be taught.
He taught race relations for 20 years at the University of Vermont and
previously taught at Tougaloo College in Mississippi. He now lives in
Washington, D.C., continuing his research on how Americans remember their
past. His other books include Lies Across America: What Our Historic Markers
and Monuments Get Wrong; The Truth About Columbus; and Mississippi: Conflict
and Change, which won the Lillian Smith Award for Best Southern Nonfiction.
This book was rejected for public-school text use by the State of
Mississippi, leading to the path-breaking First Amendment lawsuit, Loewen et
al. V. Turnipseed, et al.

Sunday, September 22
8:00 pm - Opening Program: Lies My Teacher Told Me: How to Fix American
History (in the Main Lounge)

Monday, September 23
7:00 pm - Sundown Towns: Ethnic Cleansing in America (in the South Rec Room)

Tuesday, September 24
7:00pm - Race Relations in Your Hometown (in the South Rec Room)

Tuesday, October 1
7:00 pm - Lies Across America: How Historic Sites Get History Wrong (in the
South Rec Room)

Monday, October 7
7:00pm - How Standardized Tests Like the SAT, GRE, and LSAT Lie About Your
Abilities (in the South Rec Room)

Wednesday, October 9
8:00pm - Lies My Teacher Told Me About Native Americans (in the Main Lounge)

All programs are open to the public and take place in Allen Hall, 1005 W.
Gregory, Urbana. Call 333-8351 for more information.

Laura Haber
Assistant Program Director of Unit One
University of Illinois
68 Allen Hall (MC 050)