[Peace] FW: Requestion for Co-Sponsorship

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Thu Sep 26 22:09:04 CDT 2002

Hi all, the Outreach Coordinator for PRC, Sarah Jayne,
asked that I forward this to you all - I will bring
it up at Sunday's meeting for further discussion- Meridith

Dear Ally,

Greetings from the Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative!

The PRC would like to thank all of the organizations who were a part of
our Anti-"Chief" Rally and March that took place on Thursday, September
19. At this event, we issued a community report on the University of
Illinois Board of Trustees, condemning their lack of dedication to
diversity and multicultural education, irresponsible handling of student
and taxpayer money, undemocratic and unrepresentative governance, and lack
of concern for the demands of the UI student population and for the
greater community.

Specifically, among other things, we demand that the BOT (which is the
highest governing body of this university) vote immediately to end all
manifestations of "Chief Illiniwek" on our campus. In response to their
repeated stalling and attempts to ignore anti-"Chief" activists, We set
an October 7, 2002 deadline for the Board of Trustees, before which they
must declare when they will vote on "Chief Illiniwek."

Because the Board has repeatedly ignored our requests, we expect nothing
less from them this time. On Monday, October 14, PRC will be holding its
annual ANTI-COLUMBUS DAY ACTION. This action will tie together the
racist conquest of Christopher Columbus and the continued
marginalization of Native peoples, as evidenced in the UI's continued
use of "Chief Illiniwek". Because this event will take place exactly one
week after the deadline set for the BOT, we will also be updating the
public on action the Board has taken (if any) and reiterating our demands.

The PRC is contacting you to ask if your organization would like to
co-sponsor this upcoming event. The event will take place on Columbus Day
- Monday, October 14 - at 6pm, beginning on the South Patio of the UI
Union. We will have speakers from both the community and our campus, and
then march to the UI Alma Mater on Green and Wright Streets.
Co-sponsoring would involve publicizing the event to your membership,
bringing people out to the event, making a donation to offset organizing
costs (NOT REQUIRED), and perhaps having a representative from the PRC
come talk to your group about the event and the issue.

If you would like to co-sponsor, please contact me at the above email,
call me at 384-1049, or email prc at prairienet.org to let us know what you
can commit to this event. We will add organizations to our publicity as we
get co-sponsors, and because we would like all of our co-sponsors to be
recognized, please respond as soon as you can using the form below.

Now is a crucial time in the anti-"Chief" movement, as the UI Board of
Trustees has nothing to do but stall on the issue. We must not let them do
so! The BOT as an entity is unresponsive on many issues, not just "Chief
Illiniwek." This is a dangerous pattern of "governance" that has to be
reversed. The PRC will be contacting you soon regarding anti-"Chief"
pledges for your organization. We look forward to hearing from you and
working with your organization in the future.

Thank you,

Sarah Jayne Dipert

PRC Outreach Committee, Co-Chair

Yes! We would like to co-sponsor!

Organization Name: __________________________

*As a co-sponsor, we will do the following:*
 (mark an 'x' by all that apply)

__ Our organization should be named as a co-sponsor on all publicity.

__ Publicize this event to our membership.

__ Encourage our membership to attend the event.

__ Make a donation to offset the cost of organizing.

__ Invite a PRC member to an upcoming meeting to discuss the event/the
   issue.