[Peace] today's elections - resources and opinions

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue Apr 1 02:12:36 CST 2003

Dear Friends,

Local elections are TODAY Tuesday, April 1st.  Polls are open 6 AM to 7
PM. Please take the time to vote.

There are a number of important elections today - 2 contested School Board
elections in Urbana, 8 folks running for 4 seats on Champaign School
Board, and 6 running for 3 seats on Champaign City Council, and 2
Champaign Park Commissioners seats are open with 3 running.

Since people often approach me in the final days before an election asking
for my position on the candidates, I've compiled a list of voter resources
and statements on who I would vote for in contested races in C-U.  In
general, this list reflects my assessment of who are the most progressive
candidates on the issues.  For this election I consider racial equity,
government openness and accountability, living wage, and fair housing as
the top issues.

RESOURCES
Print a sample ballot, find your polling place, and view your voter
registration information:
http://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/registrationstatus.asp

Candidate responses to NOW's questionnaire and some discussion:
http://che.ojctech.com/~chyn/public/elections/  --> download from here

UI League of Women Voters candidate info (student/campus focused):
http://www2.uiuc.edu/ro/LWV/april2003.htm

CANDIDATES
Urbana School Board:
---------------------------
I strongly support COPE CUMPSTON in sub-district 4 which includes most of
the Historic neighborhoods in East and West Urbana.  Cope is a progressive
activist and civil rights leader.  Cope supports racial equity, better
community and government relations with the school district, and
neighborhood preservation in the face of campus expansion.  Whereas
current School Board leadership has pushed for punitive solutions to
complex problems, Cope supports understanding the roots of the problem and
bringing all parties to the table to find solutions.  She is a strong
leader with a gentle, inclusive leadership style. To read more about Cope,
go to: www.copeforschools.org.

CAROL GEORGE, who is running unopposed in the mostly African-American,
King neighborhood sub-district, is a strong progressive voice for racial
equity, multicultural curriculum, and democratization of district
decisions.  I interviewed her for an hour on WEFT and was impressed with
her ideas, passion, and vision. After the elections, the School District
plans to challenge Carol George who is running unopposed in the King
School sub-district.  The District claims she does not meet residency
requirements.  Carol insists she does and intends to fight the district in
the courts.

Champaign City Council: (3 seats)
KEN URBAN
Professor at Parkland, Union Member
Top issues: Living Wage, Domestic Partner Benefits, Affordable Housing,
City Recycling, the Arts

GERALDO ROSALES

Director, La Casa Cultural Latina, Champaign Human Relations Commission
and Police/Community Task Force, Board Member of Arts Alliance
Top Issues: Diversity, even economic growth throughout the city,
supporting democracy on the neighborhood level, fairness in housing
policies.

Champaign School Board: (4 seats)
MARGIE SKIRVIN
Served one term as School Board member, on Illinois PTA State Board of
Managers
Margie is a long time advocate of openness and transparency.  She strongly
opposed the trend on the School Board to limit public participation.  She
is a strong advocate for equity and fairness.

NATHANIEL BANKS
Asst Dean of students, UI; worked on Charter School Initiative
Nathaniel is a thoughtful candidate with a strong commitment and promising
set of ideas to raise the  achievements levels of and level the playing
field for African American youth.

Please view last Sunday's News Gazette, March 30th, A-3 for extensive

- Danielle