[Peace] Tracinski statements!

msimon at uiuc.edu msimon at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 21 04:40:03 CDT 2003

Dear All,

Below are excerpts from 10 articles (titles in caps) written
by Robert Tracinski, the distinguished Neo-Con columnist
scheduled to grace 151 Loomis Lab (corner of Green St. and
Goodwin) with his presence on April 24 at 7:30 PM.  I know
this is a rather long post, but it’s worth the time.  These
statements range from nauseating to extremely (and
unintentionally) comic.  People actually think like this guy!
-Mike Simon

*BLOOD FOR OIL (Media Link, The Ayn Rand Institute)

“Saudi universities, for example, produce more graduates in
Islamic theology than in any other field; the Muslim world as
a whole has produced fewer than 1 percent of the world’s
scientists; students in the Saudi-funded religious schools in
Pakistan cannot do elementary arithmetic and do not know that
man has walked on the moon.”

“The Saudis did not create their oil fields.  The oil was
discovered and drilled for by American, British and French
oil companies.  These firms were the rightful owners of the
oil, and until the 1950s, their rights were mostly respected.
“The Arab chieftains who ruled the region had no idea the oil
was there and no idea what to use it for; THEY WERE STILL
RIDING CAMELS [caps added].  But once the West discovered the
oil and put it to use – running our factories and
automobiles – the chieftains began to tax the oil.  When that
wasn’t enough, they simply stole the oil fields, beginning
with the de facto nationalization of the Saudi oil fields in
1950.”

*WHY ISRAEL MUST NOT WITHDRAW (Media Link, Ayn Rand Institute)

“What Israeli is doing now – arresting militants, destroying
suicide bomb factories, seizing weapons caches – is
necessary, but it is not enough.  These operations only
eliminate, for the moment, the products of a terrorist
culture.  But if Israelis want to be able to live in peace,
the terrorist culture itself must be uprooted.  Only an
Israeli occupation can achieve that goal.
“There has been a lot of talk about the ‘legitimate
aspirations’ of the Palestinian people for an independent
state.  But people who embrace suicide bombings and choose
career killers as their leaders – as the Palestinians have
done – have no legitimate political aspirations.  They will
be ‘ready for democracy’ only when they stop worshipping
murderers.
“ISRAEL NEEDS TO REPLACE THE PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY WITH A
PERMANENT OCCUPATION, AN ISRAELI COLONIAL ADMINISTRATION
CHARGED WITH THE TASK OF CIVILIZING A PEOPLE MADE BARBAROUS
BY DECADES OF TERRORIST LEADERSHIP.  THIS OCCUPATION SHOULD
REMOVE TERROR INDOCTRINATION FROM PALESTINIAN SCHOOLS, MAKE
LIFE SAFER FOR CIVILIZED PALESTINIAN LEADERS, AND MAKE
TERRORISM A ROAD TO PRISON OR DEATH, NOT POPULAR ADULATION
[caps added].
“Most important, the occupation must seal off Palestinian
territories from the real instigators of terrorism.  The
claim that terrorism is primarily a response to Israeli
actions is terrorist propaganda.  In reality, terrorism is
fed and driven by outside sponsors: by Iran, whose theocrats
provide money, weapons, and training; by Iraq, whose dictator
offers bounties to suicide bombers; by Syria, the base for
terror groups like Hezbollah.  If Israel withdraws, these
forces will flow back in to rebuild the culture of terrorism.
“These are the lessons we thought we had learned after
September 11: that terrorists have no right to gain a hearing
for their cause; that we must answer them with destruction,
not negotiation; that we must uproot them by striking at
their organizations and sponsors.  The crisis in Israel is a
test of whether there is anything left of that vision.”

*WHY DO THEY HATE US? (Capitalism Magazine: In Defense of
Individual Rights)

“They condemn us for the ‘arrogant imperialism’ of our
foreign policy.  They claim America is motivated by a
predatory greed to plunder the world’s natural resources.
They say that we are the real terrorists and that we deserved
Black Tuesday’s attacks.  Why do these people hate us?  No, I
am not referring to militant Islamic terrorists.  The America-
haters I am concerned about are professors on America’s own
university campuses.”

“It is the job of university intellectuals to understand, to
transmit and to defend the intellectual achievements of 2500
years of Western civilization.  We can now see clearly that
today’s academics have betrayed that sacred trust.  We must
seek out better guardians of reason and progress.”

*ISLAM’S UGLY ASSAULT ON BEAUTY (Media Link, Ayn Rand
Institute)

“The collapse of the Miss World pageant in Nigeria is an
important case study in the menace posed by Islamic
fundamentalism – and the craven appeasement of Islam by the
West.”

“But the most revealing element of this Islamic attack was a
slogan chanted by rioters: ‘Down with Beauty.’  This is the
key to the whole outlook of Islam: an attack on any enjoyment
of life in this world, even the aesthetic enjoyment of
contemplating beauty.  If you want young men to die for
Allah – the explicit goal of the fanatics – then you can’t
let them catch even a glimpse of the values they are leaving
behind.”

 *REMARKS OF ROBERT W. TRACINSKI AT THE EARTH DAY 2000
COUNTERMARCH PRESS CONFERENCE

“We think the environmentalists are opposed to industrialism,
not because they care about any real or imagined harms to
human life, but for precisely the opposite reason.  They are
opposed to industry because they do not care about human
life.  Instead, they want to sacrifice human life and
happiness for the sake of a kind of primitive nature-worship.”

*APOLOGY FOR SLAVERY WILL PERPETUATE RACISM (Diversity &
Multiculturalism: The New Racism, Ayn Rand Institute)

“An apology for slavery on behalf of the nation presumes that
whites today, who predominantly oppose racism, and never
owned slaves, and who bear no personal responsibility for
slavery, still bear a collective responsibility – a guilt
they bear simply by belonging to the same race as the slave-
holders of the Old South.  Such an apology promotes the very
idea at the root of slavery: racial collectivism.”

*ELIA KAZAN: MORAL HERO – KAZAN SHOULD BE APPLAUDED FOR
DEFENDING INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS BY TESTIFYING AGAINST HOLLYWOOD’S
COMMUNISTS.

“But Kazan does deserve to be honored, not despite his
testimony [before the House Un-American Activities
Committee], but because of it – not because we should
separate his politics from his art, but because his politics
helped preserve artistic freedom for everyone in America.
Kazan was the one defending freedom – while it was the
Hollywood communists who were betraying 'the lives and
futures' of their fellow man.  The search for Hollywood
communists was not a hysterical witch-hunt.  There were real
communists in Hollywood.”

*BAD ECONOMICS IN ONE LESSON (Media Link, Ayn Rand Institute)

“On Tuesday, the Economic Policy Institute (EPI), a left-
leaning Washington think tank, published a full-page ad in
The New York Times condemning the proposed Bush tax cuts.
This pro-tax statement is signed by more than 400 economists,
including 10 Nobel laureates – for what that’s worth.
“Apparently, it’s not worth very much, because the
economists’ statement is a classic lesson in bad economics.”

*NATIONS UNITED AGAINST RIGHTS (Media Link, Ayn Rand
Institute)

“Note, however, the reaction of so-called human rights
activists.  When Congress threatened to withhold UN dues,
these activists urged America instead to increase its support
for the UN […] Tom Malinowski of Human Rights Watch
declared: “Instead of writing off the commission, the United
States should take the process of multilateral diplomacy more
seriously.”  In other words, if we just appease the UN, maybe
they will be a little nicer to us and not quite so nice to
Sudan.  What an inspiring vision for the future of individual
rights.”

And finally, Tracinski on the true meaning of Christmas:

*PEACE ON EARTH – AND ITS PRICE (Media Link, Ayn Rand
Institute)

“But no foreign policy Santa is going to come to disarm
America’s enemies.  Peace on Earth will come only through
dangerous action to secure it, and good will toward men can
only rule once we have defeated the forces whose malice – as
recent events demonstrate – cannot be mollified or negotiated
away.
“That’s why we should take a few moments to remind ourselves
that the joy of this holiday season is earned by the courage
and foresight we show the rest of the year.  We should take a
moment, especially, to thank the soldiers who man the front
lines of our freedom and security – many of whom will not
have the luxury of a Christmas at home.”