[Peace] NYTimes article about criminal charges for anti war activity

Peggy Patten mpatten at prairienet.org
Mon Apr 28 17:02:38 CDT 2003

Hello,

I'm happy to be part of this peace electronic discussion group.  Since I'm
a new member
(only joined today), this may or may not be an appropriate item for this
list, but I felt the
need to share the information.

There was an article in yesterday's edition of the New York Times about an
anti war protestor
who received a six month jail sentence and a $5,000 fine for carrying a NO
WAR FOR OIL sign in close
proximity of President Bush at the Columbia S.C. airport.  Protesters were
instructed to remain in the"free
speech zones" which were a good half mile from the hangar where the
president would be speaking, according
to the article.  The South Carolina states attorney who brought federal
charges on what is considered
a "seldom-used statute that allows the Secret Service to restrict access to
areas the president is visiting",
was J. Strom Thurmond Jr.

The article appears on page 15 of the April 27, 2003 NYTimes.  I neglected
to write down the section however.

Peggy Patten