[Peace] Minutes of AWARE meeting 8/10/03

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Aug 10 22:07:53 CDT 2003

Linda was our facilitator.

Introductions

Carl gave his News of the Week.  His notes will be posted.

Working groups: Linda appealed for facilitators for proposed working
groups. She remarked that a facilitator need not do all, or even most,
of the work. (Laughter/skepticism.) Last week, several ideas were put
forth for possible actions/working groups. Linda read these off (listed
below), solicited interest and asked those so interested to facilitate
a working group.

1] Demonstrations à la P4P. Periodic, not necessarily at north
Prospect, nor every week, yet intended to “show our flag” on issues of
importance. Gabe volunteered to pursue the matter. A sign up sheet was
passed around.

2] On 8/27, United for Peace and Justice proposes to meet with Tim
Johnson, our congressional representative, to discuss the U.S
occupation of Iraq and the excuses for the war. AWARE should join in.

3] On 8/22-23, the Urbana Sweet Corn Festival will take place. It would
be useful to have AWARE represented there. A table?; it seems too late
for that. Passing out literature? No action taken.

4] Town Hall meetings. More are desirable.

5] Coordination with other peace groups: PRC, Student Peace Action,
etc. There has been contact with PRC by ??, but not yet with others.

6] Creating informative AWARE literature. A sheet was passed around to
enlist those interested.

7] Electoral issues. Jay and Mort will try to organize efforts to
inform about the presidential candidates, and to propose possible AWARE
initiatives.

8] Film festival in the Fall with enlightening and entertaining films.

Farmers Market.  Jay reported that our table was set up, and elicited
modest interest. Literature was distributed, and our posters and signs
were noticed. It was suggested that when someone comes by and shows
interest, it is an opportunity for dialog to take advantage of.

Publicity. Lisa reported on buying balloons with AWARE messages.  500
balloons would cost $500, an extra 100 would cost $80, etc. Too
expensive? The discussion went on to other modes of AWARE publicity
such as buttons, bumper stickers, yard signs, T-shirts, etc. Lisa found
that the messages she found (for buttons?) on the web pages did not
strike the right notes for her. Carl suggested that former AWARE
buttons were effective, and many agreed. They will be ordered; Janet
will see to it.  Ricky will obtain post cards on which various messages
can be sent to our politicians. These can be passed out and collected
at diverse events—wherever we have a table.

Other business.
1) Randall has proposed that a sense of what AWARE members are most
concerned about is important to know, so that AWARE can have a greater
focus to its efforts and so that we all know what is most important to
other members of the group. He suggests “that individual advocates for
particular issues step forward and formally submit a clear description
of the issue close to their heart, optionally arguing for its
importance…” There might then be a group discussion/debate on the
merits. [See Randall’s e-mail to the “Peace-Discuss” list,  8/10/03].
The ensuing discussion seemed to indicate that there was no great
opposition to this proposal, but neither was there great enthusiasm.
Some mentioned that AWARE’s method of activism had been quite
successful, that we didn’t need a formal process to steer the efforts
of AWARE, that when individuals were especially concerned with
particular issues, they tried to form working groups to address the
issue, and that this had worked effectively. Other comments noted that
what was of interest today, might change tomorrow, so that a poll of
opinions today might quickly become irrelevant. Randall will present
his ideas again at (a) future meetin(g), when more people are likely to
be present, and will then consider if he wishes to further pursue his
initial proposal.

2) There will be a presentation of the video “The Color of Fear” at the
home of Jan and Durl Kruse on 8/23.

3) AWARE will try to coordinate with the PRC on a presence at Quad Day,
8/26(?).

4) Meredith Kruse will report on Guatemala at next week’s AWARE meeting.

My apologies for the inaccuracies and omissions of this report.

MKB