[Peace] Spirituality and Social Justice - Sundays in September at Channing-Murray

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Sun Aug 31 09:22:09 CDT 2003

--- please forward ---

Channing-Murray Foundation
1209 W. Oregon, Urbana
(corner of Mathews and Oregon)
www.channingmurray.org

Sundays in September
Spirituality and Social Justice
12 noon

Please join us on Sundays at 12 noon as we invite people from a rich
variety of religious/spiritual/philosophical perspectives and traditions to
share their core beliefs, values, and faith journeys with us.  Our
Unitarian-Universalist Sunday services are informal, participatory, and
nonjudgmental.  Persons from all faith backgrounds are welcome, and you are
warmly invited to enjoy refreshments and informal conversation following
the service.
As UUs we strive to put into daily practice our vision for a better world
as we affirm the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Sept. 7 - War and Peace, Power and Justice After 9-11
A time to share our thoughts and hopes about the role of the U.S. in world
affairs, facilitated by Jim Buell, Durl Kruse and Claire Szoke.

Sept. 14 - Dispelling Stereotypes: Letter from Sarajevo
Despite much rhetoric from the religious right, Islam and terrorism are not
synonymous.  Reflections on an essay by a U.S. Balkan reporter on a
broad-minded, cosmopolitan branch of Islam that is alive and Well in Bosnia
and elsewhere in the Muslim world.

Sept. 21 - What Peace?  Ongoing Struggles for Justice in Guatemala
Meridith Kruse was in Guatemala for the past three months and will work
with NISGUA, a human rights group, this fall. She will focus on the current
economic and political situation in Guatemala and discuss recent activities
by Guatemalan and North American groups working for justice and the end of
violence in Guatemala.

Sept. 28 - In Solidarity with the People of Calavera
A delegation from St. Mary Catholic Church (Kathy Fries, Father Tom Royer
and Alice Penrose) reflect on their annual spiritual, educational and
medical mission to six hamlets in rural El Salvador.