[Peace] AWARE Minutes 11/30/03

Gabriel Stanton ggstanto at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 1 23:17:28 CST 2003

AWARE meeting 11/30/03
Facilitator: Ken Urban
Time: Lisa Chasom
Notes: Gabe Stanton

Introductions (about18 people in attendance). People were asked how they
keep up to date on the news. Everyone had different ideas. Most that were
mentioned follow(I tried to get everyone. If I missed one don’t hesitate to
post my error to the lists or just back to me)

Free Speech TV
Z net.org
Democracy now (on WEFT 90.1fm at 4:00pm Mon-Fri)
Africa focus.org
(independent media centers across the globe) linked to our own at
(www.ucimc.org)
guerillanewsnetwork
commonddreams.org
German(Scola?) and Dutch news programs via Cable TV
News from Neptune(Saturdays at 10am on WEFT)
Merip.org(The Middle East Research and Information Project)
guerillanewsnetwork(gnn.tv)
znet(zmag.org)
www.cursor.org
for alternative views conservative www.drudgereport.com and a libertarian
Anti War.com
electronicintifada.net
Michael Moore’s website michaelmoore.com
aljazeera.net
(political cartoons in Champaign News Gazette (Toles’ Take, Doonesbury)
ww3 report.com and www.prospect.org

News from Neptune- Carl Estabrook
Jack Straw UK foreign secretary of state claimed that U.K.’s entrance into
the war was justified by Article 51 of the UN charter which he claims allows
states to take preventive action. When examined the article merely gives the
U.K. The right to defend itself after it was attacked. Since it wasn’t even
threatened by Iraq...
    Bush in Baghdad. “We will Prevail” Others quipped that the “Turkey has
landed”. Iraq is the greatest threat to Bush’s re-election as 12 people were
killed. Check the website for postings of expanded news at www.anti-war.net

Upcoming Events:

Benefit Concert-Carol Innskeep
December 13th at 7PM Food, Dancing and Drinks. Tom Turino and the Noisy
Gators agreed to play(Cajun Zydeco music). Volunteers should contact Carol.
Proceeds will go to Oxfam Iraq (which distributes food to Iraqis and has a
programs to purify and distribute water) and the Red Cross( Provides
emergency assistance to Iraq war veterans and their families as well as
funding first aid programs. Donations an assistance are accepted.

Peace Bazaar- Donate Stuff to Joan Nelshoppen at (344-7942) (no war toys,
furniture, computers or bulky junky) or drop it off at place of
sale(Community United Church of Christ on 6th Street from December 3-5).
They still need volunteers or just come from 9-3 on Saturday December 6th to
shop. Baked Goods, Unicef cards, gifts(new and recycled) and works by local
artists. Call for details.

Farmer’s Market-Indoors now at Lincoln Square mall and non profit community
organizations like AWARE have been excluded. Perhaps we can find another
venue or negotiate with organizers as mall is quite spacious. Look for
regular AWARE merchandise at the Peace Bazaar.

Alternative education rally against Daniel Pipes lecture outside the
Foellinger Auditiorium (on the quad) sponsored by Muslim Student Association
Rally at 7pm on Wednesday December 3.  Flyering on the quad from 10AM-3PM
AWARE co sponsored rally and gave money to help build Demo Apartheid Wall(
like one in occupied territories. Muslim Student Association. Tuesday at
7:30 there will be a pot luck at the mosque(CIMIC on Lincoln Ave.) Then from
8:30 9:00 PM they will build the wall.

Protest on Prospect Avenue (PSA form)

Occupation is Not Liberation!

AWARE is returning to Prospect Avenue to Protest the perpetual war U.S.
troops are fighting

The first Saturday of every month continuing this coming Saturday December 6
and subsequent Saturdays until Christmas(including Saturday the 20th)
A.W.A.R.E. (The Anti War Anti Racism Effort) will be sponsoring a peaceful
demonstration against the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan and U.S.
support of the continued Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories.
  This protest will be on the sidewalk at the corner of Prospect St. and
Marketview Ave., Champaign from 2-4 PM. All are welcome to bring signs but
there will be some available. Parking is not recommended in surrounding
businesses especially the tire store, the home repair store and the hobby
shop because vehicles have been towed from these locations.

If you have any questions or would like to take a turn at taking care of the
signs contact me at 367-5720 or Ricky at baldwinricky at hotmail.com

Lost Film Festival- December 8th, Allen Hall Main Lounge. Email
kstephans at uiuc.edu or l-haber at uiuc.edu for more information or call  (217)
244-2317 AWARE agreed to sponsor. D.I.Y.(Do it Yourself) amateur film
festival featuring protest footage from Anti-War/Anti-globalization rallies
and radical editing of copyrighted film.  Info about films at
www.lostfilmfest.org

Matthew Murrey ( AWARE activist and poet will be giving a poetry reading at
Cafe Verde Gallery in Downtown Champaign (Taylor St.) on December 17th at
8:00 PM

P.S. please email me or the lists with any egregious errors (like f'r
instance what  Ken Urban's favorite news site is)

Thanks,

Gabe