[Peace] Kucinich: a Message, Not only a Candidate

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 31 19:28:04 CST 2003

This last weekend (Dec. 27-8) Patch Adams and I went to New Hampshire and
Maine, to 'stump' for Kucinich.

'Stumping' refers back to the old days when you stood on a stump, and
spoke for or against something.(Nowadays it would be 'miking').

Patch Adams had been asked to stump for Kucinich, given that he supports
Kucinich, and given that Patch is, in some worlds, well-known. Patch had
asked me to come along, to stump.

If I stand on a stump(stand with a mike) to speak to a group of people,
then I had better know what I'm talking about. Or had better know what the
talking is talking about.

So I did and had. And here's what I learned:

1. I support the platform of Kucinich---because it's actually my platform.

History: In order to persuade people to support Kucinich, I needed to read
to audiences what Kucinich's ten points are.

And I discovered---he actually has a plan of ideas that are consistent
with themselves, and are not only consistent with his desire to get
elected.

His ten point program runs the range from supporting universal health care
and  developing a department of peace, to getting the US out of NAFTA and
WTO. These ideas propose, in a consistent manner, to radically change the
US role in the world.

Again, consistently, Kucinich is the only candidate who refuses to accept
corporate campaign contributions and the only candidate who proposes a way
to get the US out of Iraq immediately.

2. I recognize that we have now a candidate who is NOT a republican in
democrat's clothing.

History: Many of us have realized that we there is no longer any
distinguishing difference between the Republican and Democratic ticket.
And we've wished, heartily, for a real choice--ie, for alternatives.

So finally we have a candidate who IS radically different from the other
candidates.

We got what we asked for.
Do we support what we (said we) wanted?

3. Many people say they "support Kucinich's ideas, BUT
     we must do whatever it takes to get Bush out, & Kucinich
     is too idealistic!!"

    "As Kucinich won't get the election, why bother?"

Herbert Brun said, Things are what is said about them, in the social
world.

These two remarks are Kucinich's reality, as they're the ones constantly
said about him.

I have responses to these remarks.

" We must do whatever it takes to get Bush out"---
George Bush is not one man. He's a syndrome, a sign of a way of arguing
and speaking, backed by a way of doing business, backed by uncontestable
violence. For the many times I wished that George Bush would just quietly
resign and let someone else take over, the second thought is that another
person would be just as bad, or worse, than Bush.

Bush is a plural, not a singular.

We don't want to just get rid of George Bush, person. What we want is to
get rid of the ideas and actions that constitute George Bush.
What good to get rid of that man, only to elect another with the same
arguments, language, business, and violence as the Bushies? Who have the
same complaisance about accepting corporate campaign donations, the same
indifferent face when they  say there is no way to get out of Iraq now?

"Kucinich won't get the election, so why even bother to"---

It's primaries time, time to hear what people are wanting. If Kucinich's
ten points are ones we want, then let's send that message. After the
Democratic convention in June, we can work on solidarity.

Right now, Kucinich is a message, not only a candidate.