[Peace] NY times piece on Halabja

Margaret E. Kosal nerdgirl at scs.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 1 08:29:27 CST 2003

Paul & all -

The op-ed has gotten a very small bit of discussion on the cbw
(chembioweapons) *technical* discussion lists.

The most troubling part to me was "The condition of the dead Kurds' bodies,
however, indicated they had been killed with a blood agent — that is, a
cyanide-based gas — which Iran was known to use."

That's too vague - 'condition of the bodies' ... but i realize that the NY
Times is not a scientific journal - it's corporate where the spectacle
rules.  Contrary to the magickal world of television shows, you cannot look
at a corpse, and say, "Gosh, that must be the result of cyanide..."
etc.  It is, however, fairly easy to determine via simple blood tests.

It's well known & established that the Iraq had sulfur-based vesicant
(blister agents, e.g., mustard gas) and crude production of nerve
agents.  i don't know off the top of my head if Iraq had hydrogen cyanide
or cyanogen chloride.  Frankly, cyanide gas is a lot easier to make than
nerve agents.  Most nerve "gases" are low volatility liquids, however,
sarin (GB) is an exception, in which the volatility is similar to water.

My final conclusion is that this reinforces the absolute necessity of
- rigorously speaking within one's knowledge base ... there will almost
always be someone out there who knows more.
- rigorously differentiating between verifiable/verified data and
hypothesis.  Proof by assertion only gets one so far.
- maintaining credibility - once lost is very hard to regain.  If one
speaks against 'common sense' or predominant thought, one will be
challenged.  Be prepared.  And to be conscious that loss of credibility can
effect more than just oneself - it can damage a whole movement.

Namaste,
Margaret

(PhD UIUC Chemistry ... as was pointed out to me Thursday, credentials can
be useful ... even if i have a tendency to downplay mine.)