[Peace] p4p

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Sat Feb 15 13:53:58 CST 2003

At 12:40 PM 2/15/2003 -0600, reichel wrote:

>         Is Prospect for Peace still going on in spite of the weather?
>Weather Channel says you are putting your life at risk by being outside. I
>dont think that standing amidst traffic is a good idea.
>
>-
>matt

The scary language is evidently standard for a "Winter Storm Warning,"
which is what the National Weather Service has us under through tomorrow
morning. At present, the temperature's in the low 20s, with a wind chill
hovering a little above zero due to 30 mph winds. There's moderate cloud
cover and snow all across this part of Illinois. They're looking for
"occasional snow" this afternoon, with a possible total of 2 to 4 inches -
however, the worst isn't expected until this evening, with total
accumulations up to 10 inches. It ain't pretty this afternoon, but it ain't
all that grim either. Highways are a bad idea, and I'm not sure how well
the city streets are cleared. My guess is if we dress warm, stay on the
sidewalk, watch out at the intersection, and drive carefully, everything
should be okay - fingers crossed.

In other news, London saw between 750,000 (police estimate!) and 2 million
(organizers' estimate) in an anti-war demonstration a few hours ago - the
largest _ever_ for that city. Blair must be feeling some heat right about
now - a thought that'll keep us just a little warmer :).

Here's the storm warning in its entirety, as found on
www.weatherunderground.com: