[Peace] AWARE Meeting Notes - whew!

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Sun Feb 16 22:27:37 CST 2003

Hi all,

Here are the notes! (muy larga!) Enjoy, Meridith

-------------

AWARE Meeting, Sunday February 16th
Facilitator:  Al Kagan
Notetaker: Meridith Kruse

I. Introductions

II. Sarah Kanouse's showed several of her art
videos and announced an art show dealing with war
at ISU in Bloomington - she'll post more info to the list

III. News of the Week by Carl - he will post details
to list if requested...

***Matt Murray suggested, as a result of both NPR and local
News-Gazette coverage on WILL linking anti-war protestors
with supporters of Saddam that we write/call both of these
places - expressing our concern - and suggesting (in case
of WILL) that they carry at least an hour of PACIFICA programming***

IV. Events of Past Week-

A. Cities for Peace in NY - Danielle went to NY along with other
citycouncil members to present anti-war resolutions to President
Bush- and then participated in anti-war demo in NY- check out
Danielle's first hand report on http://www.ucimc.org

B. Prospect for Peace- Great Turnout in the Blizzard! Ricky counted
over 170 people, news coverage on channel 15 and channel 3. Lessons learned:

1. Don't park in Tire's plus - they will tow or block in your car.
(Also, the guy who drove his truck onto the sidewalk works at Tire Plus)

2. Let's try to be nonviolent in our reactions and not provoke drivers...
"Peace is the Way" :)

3. Question was rasied- do we need to designate people as security monitors
along the line?  To help anticipate and de-escalate altercations? TBD...

C. Chicago and Springfield protests were a success- but those who had
planned to go locally stayed and protested here because of bad weather.

D. Emily Hauser's Talk (Israeli Journalist) went well, David Green was
gone so we couldn't get more updates...

V. Report from City Council Working Group- Carl and others will set an
appointment to talk with Human Rights Commission in Champaign and report
back

VI. Fundraiser/Concert- Paul Kotheimer asked for input in helping to plan,
Comments were:

1. Should be kid and pet friendly - (at decent hour, content ok)
2. Let's avoid lots of white guys with guitars
3. Possibly sell food/hold raffle in conjuction

This will become a working group - help plan if you're interested!

VII. Financial Report- Linda Evans volunteered to help/take the lead
with this since Raia Fink is often busy and unable to attend meetings

VIII. Literature Update- we need help - we need someone to coordinate
and get literature revised/printed.  Paul Patton volunteered to transfer
documents from word to other formats if needed- just email him.

IX. Announcements:

Teachers for Peace and Justice, Anti-War panel with Robert McChesney Monday
at 7pm, Library School of Information Sciences

PRC Anti-Chief Protest outside West Entrance of Assembly Hall, this Tuesday
from 5:15-6:15pm

Building Alternatives in Guatemala: 7-9pm at Illinois Disciples Foundation
Monday February 17th (Jesus Tecu Osorio and Jessica Pupovac)

Living Wage Association asks people to attend April 8th meeting at Champaign
City Council - at 7pm - to speak in favor of Living Wage.

PRC Anti-War Panel Saturday February 22nd at noon, IDF, speakers include
Barry Romo of Vietnam Vets Against War, Bill Davis of Labor Against War,
Danielle Chynoweth, Urbana City Council Member, and Laura Haber of
Committee to Stop the First Gulf War

Fellowship of Reconciliation Non-Violent Training Workshop this Friday
and Saturday - contact Channing-Murray Foundation for more Information

Janet Chisholm of Fellowship of Reconciliation will also be speaking
at Friday Forum on Friday Feb. 21st at noon.

IDF Human Rights Film Series to Start Thursday March 6th - films will
be Thursday nights from 7-9pm with facilitated discussion. See IDF
website, www.prairienet.org/idf for more information.

Prairie Greens will have Green Tea with Giraldo Rosales to learn about
his run for City Council - Wednesday Feb. 19th from 7-9pm at IMC.

Students for World Improvement will host Hunger Banquet Saturday March
1st from 5-7pm at Urbana Middle School - to benefit Oxfam International

See Ken Urbana for his yard signs - (he is running for Champaign City
Council)

We're almost out of Anti-War signs, Jeff will be ordering more - you
can pick them up at the IMC, and there are also some at the IDF.

We then had a discussion about strategies if War Should Begin:

It was brought up that if war starts the pentagon will manage information
that comes out and the media will be complicit...

How do we reach a wider audience?  What will resonate to sway opinion after
a war starts?  Should we highlight civilian casualities?

It was also stated that we should think about being a movement of
resistance-
and should also present alternatives, talk about what we are in favor of,
not
just against...

Meridith discussed the opportunity for nonviolent training in civil
disobedience
to prepare people do engage in higher risk actions if needed- there is the
FOR training this weekend, and Peter Miller and Kim Kranich also volunteered
to give presentations to those wanting to learn more/prepare for Civil
Disobedience

Carol Inskeep emphasized need to reach broad audience and keep getting our
message out-

Lisa Chason mentioned next big anti-war demo is set for March 1st in DC...

Lisa also raised need to focus or "discipline" our outreach efforts- and
need to revive
speaker's bureau - Joe (?) volunteered to help organize this and a sign-up
sheet was sent around...

Lisa also mentioned doing more specific recruiting for Prospect for Peace-
and
being sure to have our literature there to pass out

Miles brought up the idea of planning another Teach-In

Jeff Sowers reminded people about the Day of War event - which will occur at
University and State (West Side Park) should war occur- Jeff and Adrienne
are
making flyers to help promote/create awareness about this event

It was also suggested we do more tabling at events (Al will take info to TPJ
event)

Carol Inskeep invited people to sign-up and come to her house to write
letters
to the editor...

Overall - there are lots of things we can do! And if you've read this far in
my notes,
perhaps you are just the dedicated person to take on a new task - :)

See everyone soon,
In peace,
Meridith