[Peace] Puking for Peace

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 19 06:20:52 CST 2003

Here is an article that will likely appear in the next public i. I could use
some concrete suggestion on actions that you can and or have taken for
peace. Please email me (not the list) with your response. thanks. Sandra

Puking for Peace
by Sandra Ahten (with help from friends)

One day last fall I was driving on Prospect Avenue, listening to Resident
Bush on NPR. Suddenly I was overcome by nausea. I felt like throwing up. I
fantasized that concerned people would start rolling down their windows and
I would wave them on saying, "George Bush just makes me sick. I'm sick over
the fact that he's creating this war." Then I embellished my fantasy and
dreamed that I'd do it every day. I'd come out to Prospect and put up a
sign" "Puking for Peace." And do just that.

As I relayed my fantasy to friends and co-workers, I realized that even
though I didn't take the action it made me feel better to have spoken out
against the war, just to have told them about the plan. Based on my fantasy
I came up with a more practical and (possibly) more effective variation.
Won't you join me in trying this?

Personal Day for Peace

Plan to take a day off work to take action for peace. Many of us want to
write the letter to a politician, get a lawn sign for our yard, etc. But we
just don't make the time or effort. As you set aside your day of action,
keep in mind that it will heal your heart. It is healing to live in
congruency with our values and many of us need this healing time as we
become more and more soul sick from the current state of affairs. Use this
set-aside-day as an opportunity to tell people what you are doing. Voice
your fear about the action of the government to those with whom you come in
contact: your co-workers, neighbors, cashiers, and children. People need to
share the fact that they are seriously disturbed by our pending war against
other nations and the eroding of our own constitution. You and others will
see your day of
action as a sacrifice “a measure that you are doing what is above and
beyond".

Take your efforts seriously. Be creative. If you're unemployed or don't want
to advertise that you're calling in sick for peace you can still set aside
eight hours. Call it your Personal Plea for Peace Day. Do a half day or
piece together eight hours in a week. Just do it.

Here are some suggestions for activities for your day (that don't involve
regurgitation).

1) Call or write President George W. Bush:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, DC 20500
www.whitehouse.gov
e-mail: president (at) whitehouse.gov
(202)456-1414
(202)456-1111 – comment line

2) Put a No Iraq War yard lawn in your window or yard. You can get one by
calling 384-0945 or 344-9155.

3) Attend a protest. Even if you have to schedule part of your 8 hour day on
Saturday. It will do your heart good to be with other like-minded folks.
AWARE's Protest on Prospect take place every Saturday from 2 to 4 pm on
Prospect Ave in Champaign, between the Rte. 74 interchange and Market View
Drive. Bring your own sign or pick one up there.

4) Send a letter of thank you to someone who you think is making a
difference in the world. If you can include a check to be sent on to the
organization that they are involved with so much the better.

5) Make some peace art, photocopy it and hang it on bulletin boards around
town.

6) Write a letter to the editor. 250 words or less. Include your name,
address and phone number:
The News-Gazette
Letters to the Editor
PO Box 677
Champaign, IL 61824
www.news-gazette.com/editorial.html

7) Write or call your congress people:
US Senators:
The Hon. Richard Durbin
232 Dirksen Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
dick (at) durbin.senate.gov
(202)224-2152

The Hon. Peter Fitzgerald
555 Dirksen Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
Senator Fitzgerald (at) fitzgerald.senate.gov
(202)224-2854

US Representative:
The Hon. Tim Johnson
1541 Longworth House Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20515
(202)225-2371

8) Send information on becoming a conscientious objector to a young man that
you know. See www.objector.org

9) Set aside time for peaceful meditation. Make peace with your self. Let go
of the guilt for what you haven't done in the past and focus on the action
that you are taking.

10) Make a lunch date with a person whose work for peace you admire. Who is
of a different ethnic background than you. Who is someone you've wanted to
make peace in your own life with.

11) Put a bumper sticker on your car especially if have NEVER put a bumper
sticker on your car.

12) Tune in to WEFT 90.1FM at 4pm (weekdays) for Democracy Now from Pacifica
Radio. This is journalist Amy Goodman's War and Peace report.

13) Call in to radio call-in shows such as WILL (580 AM; 333-9455) and WDWS
(1400 AM; 356-9397).

14) Talk to kids about peace and justice issues, in a way that directly
relates to them.

15) Listen to music that inspires you, opens your heart and makes you want
to change the world.