[Peace] Invitation for AWARE to co-sponsor

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Wed Feb 19 10:21:14 CST 2003

Hi all, I will be at the meeting this Sunday to
answer questions in person, but I wanted to give
you all advance information about this opportunity,
See you soon, Meridith

Dear Members of AWARE,

Workers at Coca-Cola plants in Colombia are in grave danger. In the past
decade, Colombian Coca-Cola employees have endured the following: 11 union
members have been tortured, 61 threatened with death, 74 taken hostages, and
7 assassinated. Who are their attackers?  In the majority of cases right
wing paramilitaries, who continue to receive support from the US-funded
Colombia Military, collaborate with Coca-Cola management to target union
members.

Concerned about your tax dollars being used to threaten union leaders?
Upset that the University of Illinois continues to maintain an exclusive
contract with Coca-Cola?

If so we invite AWARE to co-sponsoring the upcoming presentation by Luis
Adolfo Cardona, former union leader at the Carepa Coca-Cola Bottling
Company.  This event will occur on Tuesday March 11th at 7pm the Illinois
Disciples Foundation and is entitled, “Wanted: Coca-Cola For Links To
Colombian Killings.”

I hope that AWARE is able to co-sponsor this important event.  We are
suggesting a $25-50 donation for co-sponsorship to help pay for the costs of
planning this event, however a monetary contribution will not be required to
be a co-sponsor!  We will list co-sponsors on publicity material and
announce them the night of the event.  In return we ask that you
organization help post flyers and spread the word about Luis’ upcoming talk.

The deadline for Co-Sponsorship is Monday March 3rd.  Luis’ biography has
been included in this email.  Please do not hesitate to call if you have
further questions, 217-352-8721.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Meridith Kruse
Director, Illinois Disciples Foundation