[Peace] Re: SAIC (democracy now today and Bush and Wolfie in chicago)

Margaret E. Kosal nerdgirl at scs.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 3 13:51:41 CST 2003

At 09:26 1/3/2003 -0800, Paul Mueth wrote:
>  does anyone know about SAIC and its business here?

Paul & all -

i'm plugged in to one of SAIC's ventures here - those pertaining to high
tech business development in Champaign County.  (For those who aren't
familiar SAIC = Science Applications International Corporation, major
post-Cold War defense contractors.)

They are occupying space in the U of I Research Park (next to Assembly
Hall, aka the "south farms research park").

SAIC recently took over administration of what used to be the Tech
Community ... now renamed Champaign Cty Economic Dev Corp ... something
akin to Lockheed Martin runs Sandia Natl Lab.

SAIC also employs Shaye Mandle, who is also/supposed to be President of the
Illinois Coalition - which is a psuedo public (IL State) and psuedo private
not-for-profit organization nominally to strengthen Illinois' economy
through science and technology ... realization of the 'Silicon
Prairie'.  Peter Fox (Fox Development, folks building the U of I Research
Park) is on the Illinois Coalition Board & a member of the State & Federal
Initiatives Group ...

SAIC is also coordinating (& expecting to share in the Federal & State
grant funds) a State and Federal Initiatives Group, in which i participate.

The stated mission:
"For those that are new to the group, our mission is to:
·       Develop partnerships between the University of Illinois and local
and State business to jointly pursue State, Federal, and private industry
business opportunities
· Develop local CU company partnerships to jointly pursue State, Federal
and commercial business opportunities
· Support the local Champaign County economy development being by
developing and capitalizing on multiple High Technology business opportunities
· Provide a Clearinghouse of local and National opportunities that we might
all collaborate to improve the local High Tech business environment in
Champaign County
· Assist local High Technology businesses to ensure they emerge, grow and
remain viable in Champaign County
· Get our fair share of State and Federal funding to provide a catalyst of
growth for the local community and economy
· Assist the University of Illinois in staff recruitment and retention by
growing the local High Technology business base"

Relatively benign-sounding ... fostering local business.

The 2 initiatives which SAIC is spearheading are (1) an "Secure User
Network for Food and Agricultural Response and Mobilization ... basically
to develop a FEMA Region 5 "data fusion center" addressing biological
terrorism directed at agriculture, and (2) to fund, build and operate the
"National Signature & Information Security Research & Production Center"
... a DoD "Information Anaylsis Center" for developing methods to do
defense related simulations and modelling, including applications for
missile defense, emphasizes use and interpretation of radar
signatures.  Don't have any indication that this overlaps with DARPA's TIA
(Total Information Awareness).

Other initiatives being fostered via SAIC include a Carle-driven
Comprehensive Breast Cancer Treatment & Research Center, a UIUC Civil Engin
Advanced Transportation Research complex (fancy test track), and an UIUC
CARIS Information Technology and Internet Security projects.

My opinion is that SAIC wants to be Battelle.

Namaste,
Margaret