[Peace] Move On sponsored meeting with Tim Johnson

jeffsowers at swissinfo.org jeffsowers at swissinfo.org
Sat Jan 11 10:49:41 CST 2003

I signed up for a Move On sponsored congressional meeting and this is what
they sent me. Unfortunatley, I don't think I can make it at that time. Are
there others currently planning on attending this meeting?

Dear Jeff Sowers:

Thank you for signing up to participate in the Iraq meetings. You've
signed up for the following meeting:

Offices of Congressman Johnson
01/21/03 12:30 PM
2004 Fox Dr
Champaign, IL 61820

You've agreed to the following ground rules:

 * This is a congressional meeting, not a rally. The purpose of these
   meetings is to allow constituents to express their concern over the
   current rush to war, and to encourage Congress to push President
   Bush to let the inspections work.

 * The tone of the meetings is constructive, not adversarial. Senators
   and Representatives will react best to honest comments about the
   issue, not personal attacks. Even if he or she disagrees with our
   viewpoint, we'll avoid arguing, take the high road, and explain why
   we're worried.

 * If the Senator or Representative isn't available, we'll meet with
   staff. Gaining an ally among the Congressional staff may be more
   important in the long run than meeting with the Senator or
   Representative in person.

 * Our message is:

   "Please push President Bush to commit to the UN process in Iraq and
   let the weapons inspections work."

   Many of us may be more generally concerned about the prospects of such
   war, and some of us are against any war. But we'll be the most effective

   if we all rally behind one message.

Your local leader will be in touch with you regarding logistics within
the next week.

See you there,
The Iraq Meetings Team.