[Peace] Anti-war petition - working for 200,000 signatures

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue Jan 14 17:14:27 CST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 14 Jan 2003 22:58:33 -0000
From: "Wes Boyd, MoveOn.org"

Dear MoveOn member,

You haven't yet signed our "Let the Inspections Work" statement
and we need your support.  We now have over 171,000 signatures,
and we're shooting for 200,000 by the end of the day Wednesday.
To do this, we need just 1,000 more signatures from Illinois.
To add you name and comment to the package we'll deliver to 500
congressional offices next week, just go to:

   http://www.moveon.org/winwithoutwar/

Now is the time to speak up to prevent war on Iraq.  This week
will be one of our biggest ever, and we want you to be part of it.
Next Tuesday, we're presenting the "Let the Inspections Work" petition
to more than 500 U.S. Senate and Congressional offices, with each
signer's individual comment.

Letting the weapons inspectors in Iraq continue to do their job is the
only sensible course.  A war would kill thousands of people,
destabilize the entire Middle East, and cost hundreds of billions
of dollars.  Weapons inspections, in contrast, are an effective
and peaceful way to ensure that Saddam Hussein remains disarmed.

Please join our call to "Let The Inspections Work."

When you add your name above, you'll be part of all these amazing
events coming up:

* Next Tuesday, January 21st, more than 7,000 MoveOn members will
meet with more than 500 U.S. Senate and House offices, delivering
printouts of this petition and making sure our elected officials know
that Americans are opposed to another war on Iraq.

* Beginning this Thursday, January 16th, we'll be running a hard-
hitting TV ad in 13 major cities around the country, reinforcing our
"Let the Inspections Work" message.  Watch our website for details on
this ad.

* Also on Thursday, MoveOn members in these cities will hold press
conferences to help make these ads and their message into a news story.
All indications as of today are that our story could break out in the
national news media in a major way later this week.

Our campaign is starting to have a big impact on the national debate.
Already, members of Congress are signing onto a separate letter that
essentially reinforces our message, "Let the Inspections Work."

And the debate itself is coming to a head.  The U.N inspection team is
due to issue its first report on Sunday, January 27th.  The following
Monday is widely seen as the White House's likely go/no-go decision
date on war.  President Bush's State of the Union address is the
following evening.

This may be our last chance to prevent a war on Iraq.  We need your
help to make this campaign as strong as possible.  Please sign up today.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

- The MoveOn Team
  Carrie, Eli, Joan, Peter, Randall, Wes and Zack
  January 14th, 2002

P.S. Thanks to everyone who's supported this campaign through our
contribution page at https://www.moveon.org/donatec4/creditcard.html