[Peace] anti-war resolution update

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Sat Jan 25 15:20:38 CST 2003

Dear Friends,

News coverage of the resolution has been great.

Last night WICD ran the resolution as its top story for the 10 o'clock
news.  The Mayor was (roughly) quoted as saying "We should not spend on
our time international issues that lack local relevance and for which have
no expertise in."  My response was to list all the ways spending $10
billion a month on war will ruin our already flailing economy - something
*very* relevant to our city.  Since I know he opposes the war, I was
saddened by his lack of support.

This story was followed (perfectly) by a story about how broke out schools
are.

The top national story was about how Bush may allow inspectors more time.
I am sure this was fed to the press to prime them for a potential backing
away from war during Tuesday's State of the Union address.

WICD said they may come to the peace rally today on North Prospect.

This morning, the News Gazette ran a front page article on the resolution
which said nothing but positive things about it.

Also, I awoke to the voice mail of a World War II veteran leaving an
anonymous message thanking me from bring this resolution forward.  All of
you deserve the thanks as well, so I pass it on.

I gave Mike Monson (NG) and Karen Moe (WICD) contacts for AWARE to follow
up.

peace,
Danielle