[Peace] prospect for peace

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 15:27:17 CST 2003

Prospect for Peace report Jan 25

Well!  Will wonders never cease?  Anyone who thought
last week’s local demo would be smaller, due to all
the good folks trekking off to DC, was in for a big
surprise, right?  Eighty-five shiverers in
sub-freezing winds stood and waved at passing
supporters, many refusing to leave at 3:30 and staying
on until 4pm.

And this week: anybody who thought, “Oh, that was just
a spike because of the national protests, and folks
will stay home next week – back down to 30 or 40
people,” was in for another biggie.  Between 82 and 84
dedicated anti-war activists showed up this Saturday
to root for peace – not counting two dogs – and again
most stayed until 4 pm.

We now cover the entire sidewalk from the Interstate
overpass to the red light at Marketview.  We are
enormous!

Last week we had some young folks from a student
chapter of Amnesty International, not to mention fresh
hot bread, cookies and drums.  This week Students for
Peace Action and the PRC helped fill in the line, in
spite of SPA’s fender bender on the way (not our
fault).  We are still meeting new protesters by the
dozens out there, and handing out leaflets by the
hundreds.

I think we need some more of Jan and Durl’s leaflet
for next week – and I’d like to suggest, if I might,
one sheet of paper announcing “Day Of/ Day After”
events in the works by AWARE, SPA and PRC.  We want
new faces at these events, right?  Well, we’re meeting
the most likely folks every Saturday on Prospect right
now.  But they won’t come if they don’t know about it.

This is how this movement can grow.