[Peace] NY times piece on Halabja, DU on DN

pfmueth at pop.ameritech.net pfmueth at pop.ameritech.net
Fri Jan 31 22:11:06 CST 2003

This op-ed is amazing, that it's published at all and that it
contains the hegemony argument and the water issue at the end . ..
I reckon that this last might be used to discredit it in some circles.

I did hear some inside the beltway commentary (some usatoday
journalist on the Diane Rehm show -WAMU) that the ambiguity  of
origin somehow explains the silence of the Reagan and Bush
administration contemporaneously, i.e. that they weren't  sure who
was responsible for the atrocity. .  no one challenged this
absurdity, Iraq was using mustard gas at the same time, and could be
condemned "evenhandedly" Of course one should recall that Reagan was
"evenhandedly" arming  both sides at the time, and Kissinger said let
them kill each other off. . . .

BTW it's well worth the time to go to webactive.com and listen to
Democracy Now and hear those shows that weren't broadcast with weft
being dark. Thur and Fri feature parts one and two on depleted
uranium.

cheers

PS I'm posting this to the peace list as that's where the NYT piece
was sent tho' probably more appropriately should have gone to discuss