[Peace] 4th of July in Philadelphia

Karen Kohn karenkohn00 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 6 20:33:50 CDT 2003

I've been just lurking on the list and not posting since I moved away, but some people said they'd be interested to know what is happening in other cities.  George Bush was supposed to come to Philadelphia in honor of the opening of the National Constitution Center, and tons of groups got together for a large protest.  I just found out that Bush didn't come.  The protest featured a 15-foot tall puppet of "King George II" shredding the Bill of Rights in a shredder labeled "USA PATRIOT Act."  I was very curious about this and found a picture on the IMC site:
http://www.phillyimc.org/gallery.pl?sid=03/07/04/1751242&mid=03-07-04-1754242
The event was called Justice in July and has its own website at www.justiceinjuly.org.  The Philly IMC has stories also, but if you only look at one thing, look at the puppet.  That's City Hall behind him.

Good job with the schoolhouse float!  The people around me were clapping for you.
~Karen