[Peace] Series on Race on WILL-TV

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 9 14:02:31 CDT 2003

Beginning this Friday (July 11) and for the next three Fridays at 9pm,
WILL-TV, Urbana, will carry a three-part series on race called "Race: The
Power of an Illusion."
The first two episodes are briefly described below.
Friday, July 11, 9:00pm "The Differences Between Us"
The first episode examines several discoveries that illustrate why humans
cannot be subdivided into races, and reveals that there are no
characteristics, no traits - not even one gene - that distinguish all
members of one 'race' from all members of another.

Friday, July 18, 9:00pm, "The Story We Tell"
Ancient peoples stigmatized 'others' on the grounds of language, custom,
class and especially religion, but they did not sort people into races. 'The
Story We Tell' traces the origins of the racial idea to the European
conquest of the Americas and to the American slave system, the first ever
where all the slaves shared a physical trait: dark skin.
Part 2 of 3 In Stereo (CC)