[Peace] Report of Lori Serb's trial on ucimc

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Jul 19 09:54:21 CDT 2003

I would like to comment on the information provided in this story written by
Kim regarding Lori Serb's trial.

"According to Ms. Serb, she attempted to take the disposable camera away from
the picture taker. A struggle ensued and Ms. Serb eventually pulled the
camera from the woman's hand, threw it to the ground and stomped on it. "

Let's get something clear. Lori's actions were flat wrong and illegal! Even
if Lori does not desire to have her picture taken she was in public involved in
a  public demonstration and can not prevent a photo from being taken. The
other person had the freedom to take Lori's picture and Lori can not say or do
anything to stop her. If Lori did not like the fact that her picture was taken
she should have asked the police officers who were on duty for assistance but
the woman still had the right to take Lori's picture.  Lori had absolutely no
right to act as described above, She was flat  wrong and she willfully violated
criminal laws! Her action cannot be justified at all. The simple fact is Lori
actually assaulted the woman, picture taker, when Lori started a physical
struggle with the end result as stated "Ms. Serb eventually pulled the camera
from the woman's hand, threw it to the ground and stomped on it". Lori can not
under any circumstances take some else's property by use of force and destroy
it.

As to the police officers actions, he was in uniform, and probably tasked to
protect all participants. When Lori initiated a struggle she was committing a
crime thus the police officer had the duty to act. HE WAS RIGHT!!!  I for one
applaud his actions. He did his job. If he did not act he would have been
wrong. So I suggest that Lori get over it and pay the fine and never do this
again. I suggest that everyone learn form this. Simply, I am surprised that more
charges were not filed.  They should have been. Lori Serb; as acknowledged per
her own comments as reported in this news story; took personal property, a
camera, my force during a physical struggle and destroyed the camera.

Anyone who wants to demonstrate must comply with all laws and Lori's actions
just because she did not want her picture taken during her participation in a
public demonstration were WRONG!  I suggest that Lori acknowledge her actions
as wrong. I suggest that Lori apologize to the woman, the police officer, and
the court. She has wasted valuable time of this police officer, other
officers, and the court trying to defend her own illegal actions as she admits
occured:   "According to Ms. Serb, she attempted to take the disposable camera away
from the picture taker. A struggle ensued and Ms. Serb eventually pulled the
camera from the woman's hand, threw it to the ground and stomped on it. "

doug rokke