[Peace] Report of Lori Serb's trial on ucimc

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Jul 19 18:12:25 CDT 2003

Bias? For whom? The police or Lori? Niether - just considering what is right
and wrong.  Two separate issues? Not hardly. The police officers could have
arrested Lori on various charges without the woman's consent because they saw it
happen.  In  fact anyone who saw it happen legally could have arrested Lori.
But more important any individual from AWARE or any individual from the Pro
America rally side should have stopped Lori immediately! This incident should
never have happened or escalated to the point where police had to take action.

By Chapter 38: Criminal Law and Procedure definitions:

quote

"Assault: (a) a person commits an assault when, without lawful authority,
engages in conduct which places another in reasonable apprehension of receiving a
battery.  Assault is a Class C misdemeanor.

Battery: (a) a person commits battery if they intentionally or knowingly
without legal justification and by any means, (1) causes bodily harm to an
individual or (2) makes physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature with an
individual.

Battery is a Class A misdemeanor

Theft: (a) A person commits theft when he/she knowingly: (1) obtains  or
exerts unauthorized control over property of the owner; or (3) Obtains by threat
control over property of the owner and (a) Intends to deprive the owner
permanently use or benefit of the property.

Theft of property from the person not exceeding $300 in value is a Class 3
felony."

end quote

It seems that the police officers and D.A. have been very lenient considering
what everyone including Lori acknowledges occurred and obviously the officers
witnessed.  So let's look at only the last action according to the story that
cites her. "According to Ms. Serb, she attempted to take the disposable
camera away from the picture taker. A struggle ensued and Ms. Serb eventually
pulled the camera from the woman's hand, threw it to the ground and stomped on it."
 Thus as acknowledged, Lori commited theft and was willfully trying to
deprive the owner permanent use or benefit of the property / camera when she stomped
on it. These actions by definition fullfill both of the the statuatory
requirements for "theft" as defined in the Illinois Criminal Law and Procedure and
that action is by definition a class 3 felony. Separate actions? The officer
was preventing the commission of a crime and the continuation of a series of
offenses that started when Lori tried to prevent the woman from taking her
picture (no problem) but then initiated a struggle to take the woman's camera away,
took her camera away, stomped on it to destroy it, then once subdued by the
officer attempted to get up. These actions in this case as defined under
Illinois Chapter 38 Criminal law and Procedure probably include: (1) a class C
misdeameanor, (2) a class A misdemeanor, and (3) a class 3 felony without even
considering the resisting arrest charge. Thankfully the only charge included in the
trial is "resisting arrest".

Bias? No! Just understanding what is written in the code and agreeing with
the officer(s) whose duty it is to uphold the law and prevent the commission of
a criminal offense.  When one commits a criminal offense or series of offenses
in the presence of police officers or anyone else in public view then they
can be assured or should realize that they will be arrested.  The woman who Lori
forcefully took the camera from does not have to sign a complaint. By the way
any person who witnessed this event could have arrested Lori with complete
legal authority. MORE IMPORTANT, any person who witnessed these actions should
have stopped them immediately.  THAT RAISES THE ISSUE OF "ACCOUNTABILITY" AS
DISCUSSED UNDER THE CHAPTER 38 SECTION "PARTIES TO CRIME".  But let's leave that
alone. Ricki, Randy, and Jan: considering that all of you have stated you
were there then all or each of you should have stopped Lori from doing what she
did and was continuing to do! And finally all of these actions were part of the
same criminal offense or series of offenses, leading to the officers actions.

As to resisting arrest- a person can not do anything at all. Simple as that.

Justice?  I hope so. The officers are right.

I am glad that Lori has apologized. I commend her for doing so! However, this
action and consequent actions have in my opinion hurt "AWARE"  to my own
dismay at a time during our nation's history when "AWARE" and its members and all
others around our nation and the world who peacefully protest what has
happened and continues to happen are needed.

.... and by the way I fully endorse peaceful protest and will continue my own
efforts to protest what has occurred and is occurring (I think that I am
doing pretty good job all at home and over the world).  AT THE SAME TIME A LINE
MUST BE DRAWN.  This time the police officers are right and I think that they
were very lenient considering the situation that all acknowledged occurred!

....... either way the issue will be settled in court by the judge.

My question is why was the incident not stopped right away?  Where were
Lori's friends? If I was there I would have stopped it immediately!

doug