[Peace] [Sdas] Liberation Education Summer School (fwd)

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 3 13:43:31 CDT 2003

I highly recommend  this.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:47:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: elizabeth tub <liberationeducation at yahoo.com>
To: sdas at ojctech.com
Subject: [Sdas] Liberation Education Summer School

Please read the description of the Summer School below
in anticipation of attending/presenting and letting us
know who will be interested in being contacted about
attending/presenting.

Liberation Education
Durham, NC
July 5-15 2003

Liberation Education is a learning initiative that
began at the School For Designing a Society in Urbana,
IL in January 2002. The project has five principal
goals: (1) Engage History. (2) Support Multiracial
Contexts, (3) Undermine Whiteness, (4) Defend Reading
and Writing and (5) Defend Creativity.

Building on two semesters of weekly classes, the
summer school will provide alternative formats for
learning and working together.

The Offer:

In defense of a society of peers, the Summer School
will explore the following strands:

      White Man's Disease

Thinking historically, we will examine connections
between the constructions of race and gender in order
to abolish the contexts and consequences they create
for human beings.

      Punishment and Threat

We will challenge the imperatives and incentives of
interactions based on power imbalances, especially
school and prison systems.

      Composition and Creative Music

We will employ the tools and techniques of composition
(creating something that wouldn=92t exist without you)
as well as utilize the work of Black Creative
Musicians as offers to see, hear and perform
differently.

Activities:

Core Sessions - three 1.5 hour interactive classes per
day, one in each strand.
Liberation Improvisation - daily music improvisation
Imagination and Play - art lubes, problem jostles,
coloring, futbol, games and surprises
Shared projects =96 e.g. a collaborative concert,
gardening, zine-making
Shared meals =96 cooking and eating together

Participation:

We wish to create a focused space for a small group of
people to share ideas. Our intention is to address a
few things well, rather than an =93introduction=94 to many
topics. To that end we encourage you to commit to
being present for as many days of the school as
possible. Shorter periods of attendance (1-3 days) are
only encouraged for those interested in offering a
public presentation related to one of the three
strands.

To attend, contact us:

Email: liberationeducation at yahoo.com or call Beth Tub:
217-384-5123

At that time we=92ll find out how long you will attend,
whether you are interested in presenting, what your
food/housing needs are, and what money you will
contribute*.

* This project for liberation exists in a capitalist
society: creating a summer school requires money.
There=92s no grants for this, just you, I and we.

As we will be sharing meals together, minimally we are
asking you to pay for the cost of food for the
duration of the school.

Much of the school will occur in a space being
graciously offered by its occupants. We want to be
able to compensate them for the expenses and
inconveniences we incur.

We honor labor. We see volunteerism as primarily a
choice of the privileged classes and thus strive (in a
money economy) to pay teachers for their work.

Folks who have the privilege of access to money should
contribute as much as possible so that folks without
it aren=92t doubly burdened.