[Peace] March 5th recap

Matt R reichel at students.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 6 02:05:32 CST 2003

	As thousands of students from across the country walked out of
classes in protest of the impending war on Iraq, students at the
University of Illinois helped to lessen the plight of Iraq's humanitarian
crisis by donating much needed medicine. Students willingly gave away
their free "cold packs" to the cause for this single day of action.
	Unfortunately, the McKinley Health Center shut down their Cold
pack services mid-day out of protest of our efforts. The DI has done a
good job in relating the arguments of McKinley and Student Peace Action
on this issue. However, some of this needs clarification.
	Specifically, it must be emphasized that we at Student Peace
Action completely understood and sympathized with the concerns of the
McKinley health center. Realizing that our action would threaten medicine
supplies and the overall student health service cost, we prepared by
notifying McKinley administration ahead of time. We told them that this
would be a structured single day event that would not drag on for weeks:
as a result, we felt that yearly supplies would not be hazardously
diminished. We were sincere enough to give the heads up so as to minimize
negative consequences.
	Unfortunately, the emperor of McKinley, Dr. Palinkas, decided that
he did not like our action, and was unwilling to compromise. He forcibly
closed down the Mckinley Cold Pack centers for the day, while other
administrators blamed this closure on the need to have staff helping with
moving offices around at the Lincoln Ave McKinley Center. This was an
outright lie used to cover up Kalinkas's reactionary political views.
	Fortunately, we were able to collect over 200 cold packs prior to
the noon hour, and this will be an immense help to the selfless mission of
Voices in the Wilderness.
	Thanks to all who helped.

	More info:
http://www.dailyillini.com/mar03/mar06/news/stories/news_story04.shtml

	-
	Matt

P.S. - Good to see Cantor's massmail regarding the ill effects of the
Totalitarian SEVIS program.

Stop Military Recruitment at UIUC!!! Sign this Online Petition:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/smruiuc/petition.html