[Peace] ANOTHER NEW leafleting event Friday 10:45AM-1PM

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 13:51:01 CST 2003

First, news of yesterdays leafleting:

With a total of 10 AWARE people teamed up, we distributed about 2500 flyers
on campus yesterday! Much thanks to all who participated (John F., Doug C.,
Adrienne, Lisa, Linda, Dianne, Jay, Janet, and at least one other who I
didn't know) . Some people stayed past 1PM and we finished up about 2:15PM.
I was told that Adrienne was interviewed by WCIA as well (though I don't
know what came of that). The vast  majority of people passing by eagerly
snapped up what we were passing out. It was a great success!

If we had more people and more flyers, though, we could have done even
better. It's still impossible for us to keep up with the traffic during the
10 minutes before each hour when classes transition and we could use much
better coverage of the Quad area.

Next event is Friday starting 10:45AM until 1PM (or however late people want
to continue). I'm basically out of flyers, so we have some options as to
what we print up for Friday. If you have ideas, please e-mail me directly
with them.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that since Bush still appears to be
gunning for war, even without a UN resolution and perhaps even without
British support (!), time may be up for trying to convince people to oppose
the war. If they're still pro-war, there's probably no convincing them in
the next few days and if they still don't have an opinion either way at this
late date, they probably don't care enough to form an opinion in the next
few days.

I think, therefore, that perhaps our focus should be to strongly appeal to
all existing anti-war folks to get out and demonstrate. We could create a
flyer that advertises all pertinent pending demonstrations - the Washington
"Emergency Convergence on the Whitehouse" (to emphasize that the 15th is an
important demonstration day), our own Prospect demonstration on Saturday,
the Chicago demonstration on Sunday and the two "in case of war" events.
Please e-mail me with your opinions (whether you support or oppose this idea
and any of your own ideas), but do so immediately - I'll need to order
printing tomorrow evening at the latest.

Thanks