[Peace] REMINDER - CRUCIAL leafleting TODAY (Friday)

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 14 01:14:18 CST 2003

Bush's plans are faltering. It's likely a UN vote will be postponed until
next week, much to the chagrin of the administration, which wanted a vote
last Tuesday. Some say it may never happen. I have thought for a long time
that this war can indeed be stopped and I feel the time is ripe to pounce on
this development and mobilize people into mass unified visible public action
and start kicking some serious momentum into the anti-war movement. Tomorrow
is the Emergency National Anti-War Convergence on the Whitehouse in DC and
it promises to be the start of sustained powerful public force against the
war.

Please come out to help with leafleting on campus TODAY (Friday). This one
is CRUCIAL! We have a brand new light blue double-sided half-page leaflet
that focuses on existing anti-war folks in order to inspire them into
meaningful ACTION. It advertises all the various anti-war events coming up
(Prospect for Peace, the Chicago Midwest Rally for Peace on Sunday, the
local gathering of the worldwide Global Candlelight Vigil for Peace Sunday
evening in Urbana as well as the "day of" and "day after" events in case of
war.

It also promotes the "United for Peace and Justice" call for nationwide
congressional pressure to force debate on the legislative floor before going
to war.

Finally, it makes sure people know about AWARE and how to get in touch with
us. And to top it all off, it sharply defines the error of Bush's claim that
"Saddam Hussein is not Disarming" with the appropriate direct quote from
Hans Blix saying that, in fact, he is.

You can see the leaflet in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format at:

http://salty.ncsa.uiuc.edu/act_now_final.pdf

I'm printing up 8000 of these leaflets. Please stop by whenever you can to
help out. Please bring friends. Please try to recruit people to leaflet,
even among those you're leafleting if you can =8-) Student Peace Action and
Progressive Resource/Action Council have been asked to help out as well. The
more, the better - there's no point of diminishing returns here - we can use
whatever help we get.

There will be tons of extra people out there tomorrow because of Engineering
Open House and the weather should be sunny and over 50. Let's take advantage
of this and motivate thousands of people into ACTION to STOP THIS WAR!

I will be stationed at the Southwest corner of Green & Wright as usual,
probably from 9:45AM to 2PM or later. The key stretch of time, though is
10:45AM to 1PM. Please stop by whenever you can for however long you can,
even if it's just 10 or 15 minutes.

Thanks