[Peace] Back from the Brink on Iraq and De-alerting (fwd)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 14 16:32:50 CST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:36:42 -0500
From: Security Action Network <securityalert at psr.org>
To: ishorr at psr.org
Subject: Back from the Brink on Iraq and De-alerting

Dear Back From the Brink Supporters,

It has been awhile since we have contacted you.  Our focus on de-alerting
nuclear weapons has, of course, been put on the back-burner because of the
Iraq crisis.
Also--Back From the Brink, as you may know, is now part of Physicians For
Social Responsibility, a respected disarmament organization of health-care
professionals and other citizens.

Now that the transition of our organization is complete we will be alerting
you to other issues that arise from this administration's misguided national
in-security policies.

This alert includes messages you can get to your Senators on Iraq AND
De-alerting.

IRAQ

As part of the last-ditch legislative effort to set up road blocks--BINDING
legislation has been introduced in both the House--HJ 24, sponsored by Reps.
Brown, Hoeffel, Tauscher and others--and in the Senate SJ 9--, sponsored by
Sen. Feingold (D-WI).  Both require the President to submit a report to
Congress on the critical outstanding questions concerning war with Iraq.

Focus should now be on the Senate--asking them to sign on to- S. J. RES. 9.

Go to PSR's web site to send a message on Iraq:
http://capwiz.com/physicians/home/

DE-ALERTING Nuclear Missles

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) is gathering Senate signatures for a letter
to President Bush, urging him to take some 3,700 U.S. nuclear missles off
high-alert status (these are the missiles that are to no longer be deployed
because of the US-Russian strategic arms treaty.

Go to PSR's web site to send a message on De-alerting:
http://capwiz.com/physicians/home/

 Thanks!

Ira Shorr

PSR (formerly Director of Back of the Brink)