[Peace] Jello Biafra - Wednesday at 7pm at Foellinger Auditorium

Ra Ravishankar ravishan at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 17 16:29:44 CST 2003

WEDNESDAY MARCH 16, 2003 7 PM Foellinger Auditorium.

Jello Biafra, former lead singer of the seminal punk band Dead Kennedys,
2000 Green Party Presidential nominee, founder of record label Alternative
Tentacles, author of numerous spoken word albums, former mayoral candidate
of San Francisco, lead singer of the band Lard, and irrepressible social
critic, will give a spoken word performance at U of I.  Jello Biafra was the
first musician to be put on trial for a record's content.  His performances
cross boundaries of poetry, comedy, commentary, and theatre, and his
appearance at U of I follows up on the recent release of a new three-disc
spoken word album Machine Gun In The Clown's Hand on which Jello addresses:
George W. Bush, oil, Osama Bin Laden, Islamic fundamentalists, Ariel Sharon,
Saddam Hussein, Bush's fast track, human cloning, John Walker Lindh, the
free trade agreement, NAFTA, UPS, Canada, the protests in Seattle over the
World Trade Organization, Bill Maher, Ari Fleischer, Dick and Lynn Cheney,
Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr., American Council of Trustees and Alumni, the
CIA, corporate controlled mass media, Enron, Ross Perot, the Democratic
Party, John Ashcroft, the US Patriot Act, military tribunals, Tom Ridge,
operation T.I.P.S., the "Axis of Evil," Hugo Chavez, Star Wars, a shadow
government, the International Criminal Court, Racism, Israel, Palestine,
Iraq, Senator Diane Feinstein, and his experience of September 11th.

Free and open to the public.  He can be convincing, intriguing, brash, and
perhaps most importantly, incredibly entertaining.  Don't miss it.

(If you would like to be an usher out of the goodness of your heart, email
Kevin at kpmiller at uiuc.edu immediately and let him know.  It will involve
getting to Foellinger ahead of time, but very little work.)