[Peace] War has begun. What you can do. (fwd)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 21 19:39:12 CST 2003

An excellent suggestion from Moveon.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 21 Mar 2003 16:43:14 -0000
From: "Wes Boyd, MoveOn.org" <moveon-help at list.moveon.org>
To: Paul Patton <ppatton at uiuc.edu>
Subject: War has begun.  What you can do.

Dear MoveOn supporter,

War has begun.

Our minds immediately and naturally turn to the humanitarian disaster
that will most likely follow from war in Iraq.  The Bush
administration is woefully unprepared to face this need.

Today we suggest an important action that will literally save lives.
There are many good charitable organizations that are prepared to
help prevent the many thousands of deaths from the starvation and
disease that could follow the collapse of an already fragile Iraqi
infrastructure.  This will be a race against time, as these
incredible organizations supply food, restore water and sanitation
systems, and fight epidemic disease.  They need help now.

We are highlighting one of the most prominent and capable of these
organizations -- Oxfam.  Go to their donation page to read more and
give a generous contribution today:

   http://www.moveon.org/oxfam/

The Bush administration has shown that it has a very short attention
span on post-conflict humanitarian efforts.  The White House didn't
request a single dollar for humanitarian aid to Afghanistan in this
year's budget -- Congress had to take the unusual step of adding in
$300 million.

Privately funded organizations like Oxfam are the only ones with
the patience to truly do what it takes to help a war-torn region
rebuild.  It's up to us.

Thank you,

-The MoveOn Team
 Carrie, Eli, Joan, Peter, Wes, and Zack
 March 21, 2003.
________________

ABOUT OXFAM
http://www.OxfamAmerica.org

Oxfam is an international humanitarian and development organization
founded to bring relief and progress to people in crisis.  Oxfam, a
world leader in emergency water and sanitation systems, has already
created emergency facilities for refugees along the Iraqi border and
is poised to provide life-saving services throughout the region as
these fast-evolving conditions permit.  In addition to providing
immediate relief, Oxfam is committed to helping the Iraqi people
rebuild their lives and livelihoods over the long term.