[Peace] Re: question from AWARE

Matt Reichel reichel at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 23 14:28:15 CST 2003

	I thought I would write a reply to this question and a
continuation of the comments already posted by Robert, so as to clear the
air a bit.

	Generally, SPA's relationship with the PRC has been like every
other group that I have talked to and their relationship with the PRC: "We
like to work together with them because they work on good issues and are
good at bringing out lots of people, but it's a REAL pain in the ass to
work with them." So we've lived with the same unfortunate situation as
everyone else for the last few years...

	However, things have recently worsened. Their insipid bureaucracy
without a human face has culminated in grave and injurious tensions.
	After we decided to add to "Day After" activities with a march
(something we found necessary because of all the adrenaline that would be
pumping), it was brought to our attention that the PRC could not support
such action for several reasons (some of which were reasonable..) Our
attempts at compromising by assuring that security would be in place and
that the administration would be "expecting" unrest on the Day After
War... didn't work.
	But, not only did the PRC refuse to co-sponsor (which is a
reasonable move), they then began to intentionally sabotage the march
through a long train of manipulations, lies, and perversions. While SPA
was busily hanging fliers that advertised the march AND rally, helping
AWARE with an ad in the paper that mentioned both, chalking classrooms
throughout campus with info on both, AND adding co-sponsors to the march
AND rally that the PRC did not have on their impressive list, PRC never
once mentioned the march. Not only did they fail to co-sponsor, they also
failed to mention an event that was directly linked and helpful to their
cause: of stopping the War on Iraq.
	On the day of the rally/march, they further sabotaged our plans by
NOT clarifying to the crowd which way the march was (many of our
supporters followed them in error..), and by forcing us to move the start
of our march out of their way so that noone would join us. The latter act
involved verbal and physical abuse from Joe Rupp and Karen.
	So, then we walked over to the alma mater to inform people that
the march would be beginning from there now because the PRC had perverted
the plans. This was easy because anyone and everyone was ready to take to
the streets and MAKE something of this large mass of peace activists. The
PRC's claim that no-one would want to take part in an act of civil
disobedience was QUICKLY proven dumbfounded.
	Further, the PRC claim that everyone who marched would be arrested
was proven 100% wrong by the end of the day. ZERO ARRESTS!!, despite all
of the necessary disruption of normal daily lives that the peaceful march
entailed.
	Ironically, the only abuse incurred all day was NOT from police,
but from PRC "Security" trying to forcibly prevent peace supporters from
acting under their will by marching. Also, other reports have come in
about PRC members forcibly taking their signs back from peaceful
protestors. You add to this all of the physical and verbal abuse that SPA
members received from PRC members, ..and it turns out that the PRC were
the ones upholding the Police State on THurs 3/20.
	As a result of these actions, it does not look like SPA can work
with the PRC. THeir regimented means of organizing lacks human qualities
that we feel all peace activists should value. We do know that some
fabulous people have worked with the PRC: Meredith, Clara and others of
608 Elm, etc....  However, we unfortunately cannot work with a majority of
the group...Joe R, Karen, Demien, Jeff Machoda, and others....

	I am sorry to make note of this. However, I do think it was
necessary to mention.
	I strongly believe that the more open organizing offered by
AWARE's design is favorable. We at SPA are working hard to fully realize
AWARE's mostly un-bureaucratic methodology.

	Solidarity,
	Matt