[Peace] views from the other side

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Mon Mar 24 17:28:46 CST 2003

Just a little snippet of one persons views from the other side of
North Prospect, submitted for the purposes of mutual understanding
(you won't agree with this person but it is good to know how our
actions are perceived by regular people on the other side).

A friend of mine (anti-war) who works in Madison for a company that
has an office in Champaign posted this note to a message board. I got
her permission to forward it on to you all. This is a dialog between
my anti-war friend and her "pro-america" coworker who was at the
counter-demonstration.

Begin quote:

Okay, so a former coworker of mine was one of the pro-war people at the
demonstration this weekend (not sure which day).  He and I had this
conversation via email.  Just thought I'd post the view from the other side,
in case any of you happened to be involved in this exchange:

---
Pro-War Dude:

Hey - I want your opinion....[MY WIFE] & I attended a Pro-America
rally in Champaign this weekend - yeah, I know you would have probably been
on the other side, but that's why I want your opinion....there were 2 things
about "the other side" that bothered me. #1 - They SAY they support our
troops, yet every person who was at the rally in uniform was harassed, called
names, etc. - WTF? If you support the troops then why do that?  #2 - Some
B#TCH crossed a major line! We took [OUR DAUGHTERS] with us because we
obviously feel the need to instill in them a sense of patriotism as we have,
anyway, some lady from "the other side" was harassing [DAUGHTER #1] because
(and this is a quote) "I feel like I can have to reach their children to
spread the truth" - Ummm, EXCUSE ME, but those are MY children and
"spreading the truth" to them is MY job. She's damn lucky she didn't get
punched in the nose. She's also damn lucky I wasn't there at that moment.
I took [DAUGHTER #2] and another child to the restroom - all this happened
while I was away. [MY WIFE] handled it very well - she simply told the #$%@
that is she persisted in talking to [DAUGHTER #1], [MY WIFE] would summon
the police (who were 50' away.) Now I ask you, in your opinion, was this lady
out of line?

Me:

#1 - Not everyone supports the troops.  I don't.  You and I talked before
about that, and I think we had to agree to disagree.  I think that "just
following orders" is no excuse.  If you think the war is wrong, you shouldn't
go fight it even if you ARE a soldier. If you think the war is right, then
you're one of the people that gets called names by the anti-war protesters.
Which is not to say that I don't hope our troops come home safely.  I don't
think anyone ought to be dying over there--us or them.  I'm just simply
against ALL war.

#2 - I guess I would never have taken kids to a protest in the first place.
They're too little to understand, and you never know what might happen.  As
it is, that lady was obviously trying to piss you off.  But that's part of
free speech--anyone can say whatever they want, to adults or to kids, makes
no difference.

PWD:

Against ALL war? Isn't that a little nave? I'm not trying to be offensive,
but seriously, do you really think that Hitler would have stopped at Poland?
Or Russia? Or England?  I certainly don't.

Re: taking the kids, well for one, we weren't attending a "protest", we were
at a "rally" - very different purpose. The protestors were SUPPOSED to be on
the opposite side of the street, but a handful crossed over to our side -
IMHO to make mischief. Secondly, I think you should re-examine your belief
of FREE SPEECH. Your "free speech" can not infringe my rights....or my
child's rights. I'm pretty sure any lawyer will tell you the same. However,
if it happens again, I'll exercise my free speech upside her head & yes, I'm
prepared to pay the $100 for bail money. You just don't cross lines like that
with people's children. Hell, I saw several kids on the other side - I simply
felt pity for them.