[Peace] Signs stolen in Urbana night of 3/24

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Wed Mar 26 20:53:36 CST 2003

In my neighbor they're taking "Ken Urban" signs and leaving the "NO IRAQ
WAR" signs behind ... I guess social justice is scarier than peace to
some.

Ken Urban for Champaign City Council
"A progressive voice for Champaign"

web: http://www.kenurban.com
email: kenurban at kenurban.com
phone: (217) 356-7987
>>> Belden Fields <a-fields at uiuc.edu> 03/26/03 16:16 PM >>>
All of the NO IRAQ WAR signs were stolen from my neighborhood on the
night
of 3/24, sometime before 5 am.  I have talked with Urbana Chief of
Police
Eddie Adair and he has accepted my report on the condition that I agree
press charges if the culprits are caught.  He cannot seek out thieves
unless they strike again, and said he would instruct patrol cars to be
vigilant.  But we have no more  signs as I understand it.  These people
who
support bringing "freedom" and "democracy" to Iraq obviously have no
concept of freedom of expression and democracy themselves.  Are we not
going to print new signs and just let them get away with this?  An idea
might be for property owners to either put the signs in their windows
(perhaps risking broken windows) or using a ladder to hand them from
higher
positions, like tall trees.  Perhaps everyone who had a sign stolen
would
be willing to chip in to buy new signs?  But please, no more refusal to
press charges.  It just encourages the thieves.
Belden Fields