[Peace] AWARE Agenda

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 7 13:56:28 CST 2003

David Gill is a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Congress to
run against Tim Johnson -- not a Green.  There are now two candidates for
the Democratic nomination in the 15th Congressional district -- Gill and
Ralph Langenheim -- so there will be a Democratic primary in March.  (And
we should invite Ralph in to talk to us.)

The Greens will not have a candidate for Congress in this district (or any
other in Illinois that I know of).  We took advantage of redistricting for
the 2002 election and were able to get on the ballot with 7,500 signatures
-- a major effort.  Since we didn't make 5% of the vote throughout the
district, we would have to produce about 15,000 signatures to get on the
ballot for 2004. Sometimes you get the impression that Republicans and
Democrats don't really want anyone but themselves on the ballot...

David Gill is an MD from Clinton, a standard liberal Democrat AFAICT. He
seems to have been against the invasion of Iraq, but it will be good to
question him about the "war on terrorism" and what seems to be the general
Democratic position of "don't bring home the troops." One disquieting note
is that he is in favor of building a second nuclear reactor at Clinton --
he says his home town needs jobs. Tim's friends at Exelon want to do it --
just as they want to buy Illinois Power and raise rates.

Ralph Langenheim, generally seen as a conservative Democrat, has said that
he "supports municipal utilities and establishment of a CU Municipal
Utility District."

Maybe we can get David Gill to come early Sunday and hear Jan's talk.
--CGE