[Peace] TV this week

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 19 13:12:37 CST 2003

[1] I find Charlie Rose hard to watch, but he continues to get interesting
guests from politics and the arts -- recently including Gore Vidal and
Sally Mann.  Now if he'd only shut up...

Tomorrow (Thurs. 11/20 -- WILL-TV at 11PM) he has Noam Chomsky on.

[2] Bill Moyers' program ("Now") is one of the best on TV I think -- not
that the competition is that stiff -- e.g., he's recently had on our own
Bob McChesney and Doug Henwood of the excellent "Left Business Observer.")

Friday (11/21 -- WILL-TV at 8PM) he has Robert Pollin, Founding
Co-Director of the Political Economy Research Institute (PERI) and
Professor of Economics at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. PBS
blurb follows:

"In the United States, the idea that anyone can succeed is a vital part of
our national identity. But today, the middle class is shrinking, the gap
between the rich and poor is widening, and the American Dream is at risk.
What's driving the growing disparity that's creating a two-class society?
This Friday on NOW with Bill Moyers, noted economist and author Robert
Pollin provides economic context to 'A Question of Fairness,' a special
one hour edition of NOW with Bill Moyers. Pollin, who has worked with the
Joint Economic Committee of the US Congress, walks viewers through the
complicated issues leading up to and facing a troubled US economy. Pollin
has been a consultant on living wage policies in several US cities, and is
currently working under the auspices of the UN Development Program to
develop policies to promote jobs and equality in South Africa. He is a
prolific writer with a new book, Contours of Decent: US Economic Fractures
in the Landscape of Global Austerity. This book shows how variants of
neoliberal economics under both Clinton and Bush -- lavishing favors on
multinationals and capitalists while allowing living standards for
ordinary people to fall -- operate in the US and less developed countries,
and explores policies for economic growth with increased equality."

--CGE