[Peace] AWARE MINUTES NOVEMBER 23

Jan & Durl Kruse durljan at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 24 21:41:33 CST 2003

AWARE Minutes November 23, 2003
Facilitator: Carol Inskeep
Timekeeper: Lisa Chason
Attendance: 26

1. Introductions
2. Paul King shared reflections on his life's journey and transitions from
the time he enlisted in the army for four years after high school, his
undergraduate years at ISU, his current enrollment in graduate school at the U
of I, and his association with activists groups in the CU community. He took
questions from the group and everyone appreciated his sharing the transforming
experiences of his life.
3.  News of the Week: Carl Estabrook shared the "News of the Week" which
can be accessed at AWARE's webpage: www.anti-war.net

4. Daniel Pipes Demo: Senior Sara Bokhari shared plans a U of I student group
is making to promote the Palestinian voice on campus and to encourage a boycott
of Daniel Pipes's lecture at Foellinger Hall on December 3. The boycott will be
held in front of Foellinger Hall from 7:30-8:15 pm and include speeches, the
distribution of fliers, and an apartheid wall. AWARE agreed to donate $100 to
the group and encourages individuals to attend the boycott activities that
night.
5. Barack Obana For US Senate: Brandon Bowersox and Danielle Chynoweth
distributed literature and addressed questions regarding Barack's candidacy for
US Senate.
6. Hippie Joe: Al Kagan shared a request for information about Hippie Joe and
his possible whereabouts as it may relate to the recent holocaust museum fire in
Terra Haute.
7. Diedra Cobb: Al Kagan noted that Meg Minor has requested letters of
support on behalf of Diedra Cobb be sent to Senator Durbin, Rep. Johnson and her
commanding officer. She is seeking discharge from the army and CO status.
Specific information regarding Deidra's case and how you can help is listed on
the local IMC website: www.ucimc.org
8. Peace Bazaar: The annual Quaker Peace Bazaar is scheduled for Saturday,
December 6 from 9:00 - 3:00 at the Community United Church of Christ. Carol
Inskeep reported that AWARE is welcome to have a table to sell items and hand
out literature. It was agreed to setup a table and support the bazaar. At a
future meeting it is to be decided if a financial contribution back to the
bazaar would be appropriate or not. If you are interested in helping to man the
table or with clean-up contact Carol.
9. Lost Film Festival: Linda Evans reported that AWARE has been asked to
co-sponsor the Lost Film Festival being held at Allen Hall on December 8. This
is a touring group whose films focus on issues of race, gender, corporate and
government corruption, etc. More information about this group and its films can
be viewed at www.lostfilmfest.com . AWARE will decide at its
next meeting whether to co-sponsor and make a financial contribution.
10. FTAA: Al Kagan updated the group on the deplorable treatment and prison
conditions experienced by those arrested at the FTAA protests. Special note was
made of the threatening and physical treatment by the police of journalists and
reporters covering the event.

11. WILL Working Group: Lisa Chason stated the group would continue to meet
and report at a later meeting.
12. P4P: The protests on Prospect will resume on Saturday, November 29 and
continue each Saturday through December 20 at its regular time of 2:00 -
4:00. A new banner and signs were recently made. Ricky Baldwin will handle
press releases and contact the CPD. Everyone is encouraged to get the word out.
If you are interested in assisting with phone calling, contact Ricky Baldwin.
Remember, that's this coming Saturday!!!!!
13. Farmer's Market: We have not got our check back, but Linda E. will check
with Jay M. who is out of town. Linda also agreed to contact the Urbana Business
Asso. to see if we can rent space in the mall to sell our merchandise.
14. Benefit Working Group: Carol I. reported the benefit fundraiser is taking
shape. It will be held on December 13 at "On The Job Consulting". More
information will be provided at the next meeting. Funds will given to Oxfam Iraq
and the Red Cross Fund for Veterans.
15. Finances: Linda E. reported a balance of $2279.17. It was suggested that
buttons, bumper stickers, etc. be available and sold at each meeting.
16. Urban League Dinner: Charolette Green and Karis Taylor attended the Urban
League dinner. They will give a report at the next meeting.
17. Meridith Kruse Update: Jan Kruse shared recent information she received
about Meridith's work in Guatemala.
18. Misc: Carl Estabrook has a video of Noam Chomsky on Charlie Rose's show.
Contact him if interested in viewing.
REMEMBER BUY NOTHING DAY IS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28!!!!!!!
Minutes submitted by Durl Kruse
Corrections/additions are accepted by posting to website.

---Jan    Durl Kruse

--- durljan at earthlink.net