[Peace] AWARE MINUTES 9-28-03

Peter Rohloff rohloff at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 3 13:50:39 CDT 2003

Well, I really think I shouldn't be allowed to take minutes anymore,
since it takes me a week to post them.

AWARE meeting for 9-28-03

The Hon. Ricky Baldwin presiding

1. Meridith talked about her recent trip with the Mexico Solidarity
Network to the WTO protest in Cancun. Also, she talked about her
upcoming 6 month stint in Guatemala as an accompaniment worker. She
left for Guatemala Oct 1, and will be working with the organization
NISGUA. More information at www.nisgua.org.

2. Some local folks from the Howard Dean campaign presented on their
candidate and answered questions. If anyone is interested in
participating in the campaign or learning more, they can visit
www.DeanforAmerica.com or (locally) call John (390-6205) or Terry
(356-3679).

3. News of the Week with Carl, which I'm sure he will post independently

4. Working Groups

	Farmers Market (Peter): We made $130 last week, the calendars are
selling well. We still could always 	use more volunteers (especially
since setup is getting earlier every week; right now I get there around
	6:45 am). Come by and spend a pleasant hour or two conversing with
friends anytime between 7 and 	12.

	Literature: Democrats 2004 flyer is in version 4. There will be a
working group for literature 10-5-03 to 	discuss new literature and/or
updating old flyers.

	Finances: Voted to increase our weekly contribution to the IMC for
meeting space, including paying 	$320 in 'back rent.'

	Prospect for Peace: Monthly protest "Occupation is not Liberation" to
be held this Saturday (10-4) from 	2-4 pm at the corner of Prospect and
Marketview in Champaign.

5. Events of the Past Week

	Meeting with Matt Bisbee from Tim Johnson's office: Lois reported that
this was very unproductive and 	questioned whether our participation in
these was worthwhile

6. Upcoming Events

	Kathy Kelly in town this week: various events planned

	AWARE agreed to cosponsor the Immigrants Freedom Rally of Sept 29 and
donate $50

	Chomsky at ISU, 7 pm, Oct 7th. Some folks are discussing a carpool.

	PRC anti-Columbus rally 11:30-2 Friday, Oct 10th in front of the Henry
Admin building. AWARE agrees 	to cosponsor.