[Peace] Remember Nuclear Disarmament!

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:54:49 CDT 2004

Just a quick plug:
A new, touching memoir of a Hiroshima survivor is now available for
purchase:
Hideko Tamura Snider's "One Sunny Day,"  with a foreward written by the
timeless Studs Terkel.

Can be ordered at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0812693272/qid=1081960297/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-6703863-2440738?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I had the honor of talking on a panel with Hideko this past weekend in
CHicago during the Annual Student Peace Action Network conference. Her talk
was so moving that there are not quite sufficient words to describe it. She
had many members of the audience in tears.

While she has spoken from time to time in front of crowds about her memories
since the mid-80's when the Freeze campaign approached her, she has only
recently begun to share this memory without becoming ill: the physical
impact of post traumatic stress disorder even 50 years on. She wrote the
book secretly hoping that people would read it, and thus not need her for
speaking engagements anymore.
But she definitely wants this story spread far and wide, as a reminder of
one of the great human tragedies of all time:  that some of the best minds
in the world would converge for the sole purpose of creating the world's
most destructive weapon. That the human mind: something that is capable of
creating such wonderful advancements in human society, should be used for
the most destructive end.
We must continue to take whatever baby steps we can towards the full
abolition of nuclear weapons.

cheers,
matt