[Peace] Jeffrey St. Clair, Saturday afternoon

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 15 16:16:20 CDT 2004

This Saturday afternoon (4/17) Jeffrey St. Clair, editor of the online
newsletter CounterPunch, will begin a conversation at my house at 3:00 PM
with a brief talk titled, "Dime's Worth of Difference: Beyond the Politics
of Lesser Evils."

All members of AWARE, with friends and associates, are welcome. I live at
5 Litchfield Lane, Champaign (just south of the intersection of Kirby and
Prospect, and opposite Bottenfield School).

In addition to editing what I think is the country's best political
newsletter, Jeff St. Clair writes for a number of other publications,
including The Nation and In These Times, and has co-authored with
Alexander Cockburn "Al Gore: A User's Manual";  "The Politics of
Anti-Semitism"; "Whiteout: The CIA, Drugs and the Press"; and the
forthcoming "Imperial Crusades: Iraq, Afghanistan and Yugoslavia."  His
latest book is "Been Brown so Long, It Looked Like Green to Me: The
Politics of Nature."

Jeff will also be my guest on my Saturday morning programs on WEFT 90.1 FM
-- "News from Neptune" (10-11 AM) and "From Bard to Verse" (noon-1 PM).

Please join us at three for the conversation.

Regards, Carl

  ============================
  C. G. Estabrook
  Five Litchfield Lane
  Champaign IL 61820 USA
  office 217.244.4105
  mobile 217.369.5471
  residence 217.359.9466
  <cge at shout.net>
  <www.carlforcongress.org>
  The beauty of the democratic systems of thought control,
  as contrasted with their clumsy totalitarian counterparts,
  is that they operate by subtly establishing on a voluntary basis
  -- aided by the force of nationalism and media control by
  substantial interests -- presuppositions that set the limits
  of debate, rather than by imposing beliefs with a bludgeon.
  Then let the debate rage; the more lively and vigorous it is,
  the better the propaganda system is served, since the presuppositions
  (U.S. benevolence, lack of rational imperial goals, defensive posture,
  etc.) are more firmly established.  Those who do not accept the
  fundamental principles of state propaganda are simply excluded
  from the debate (or if noticed, dismissed as "emotional,"
  "irresponsible," etc.).  --Noam Chomsky