[Peace] VEYA Forum on C-U law enforcement, May 1, 11-2

Walling, Jennifer jwalling at law.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 27 21:33:54 CDT 2004

Our organization (Visionaries Educating Youths and Adults) is just getting
off the ground and consists of C-U community members from across the divides
of race, age, and formal education level. Our mission statement reads, "VEYA
seeks to provide education for prevention of at-risk youths' incarceration
and to reduce the recidivism rate of incarcerated adults." We would also
like to see the community's direct involvement with its authority figures.
That's why we're organizing a "Citizen's Watch" to allow community members
to videograph the police. We hope that this will empower the community to
make its own decisions about local law enforcement. For now, we're trying to
gather what the community would like to get out of an organization like ours
through the forum we're hosting this Saturday.

VEYA FORUM AGENDA

May 1, 2004

11:00am to 2:00pm

Douglas Center Library (504 East Grove Street, Champaign)

mapquest map:

 <http://tinyurl.com/33m45> http://tinyurl.com/33m45

Opening Remarks: Patrick Thompson (VEYA moderator)

11:00-11:40 Representative speakers

* Jerry Sweighart, Champaign Mayor

* R.T. Finney, Chief of Police

11:40-11:45 Martell Miller (VEYA member)

11:45-12:15 Open for Discussion

12:15-12:30 Break for Refreshments

12:30-1:00 Community Speakers

* Craig Williams- addressing racial profiling in the black community * Aaron
Ammons- Educating Youth * Community Testimonials

1:00-1:30 Open for Discussion

1:30-2:00 Ideas for Solution and Closing Remarks