[Peace] AWARE minutes 4-25-04

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 13:20:33 CDT 2004

[Posting this for Susan Davis, who took minutes at the
meeting.  Any mistakes are probably mine, though. -
RB]

Minutes of the AWARE meeting 4-25-04

We start with our favorite movies as we introduce
ourselves.

News of the Week: Carl and others (to be posted
separately)

Justice for Palestine events: Sara-
Last week the group showed two movies and had a hiphop
show.
Monday at 12 noon there will be a mock funeral on the
Quad with eulogies, a coffin and other funereal things
for Interfaith week.  It is also Israeli Independence
Day.
Mike Miles will speak at Allen Hall.
Tuesday there will be a lecture on Arab-Americans in
the US, 7pm at 217 Noyes.
Student Peace Action will also have a mock weapons
inspection of the Engineering Dept. at 12 noon at
Beckman Fountain.
Wednesday there will be a talk and slideshow on the
Israeli occupation of Palestine at 192 Lincoln.
Thursday 196 at 7 pm in 196 Lincoln, Kevin Clark of
the International Solidarity Movement will talk on the
Occupied Territories.
(More details on Justice for Palestine events posted
separately.)

Treasurer’s report - Our balance is $1,476.76, and we
have paid Marvin Gerstein.

Prospect for Peace-
May 1 is international workers’ day and this year will
be an antiwar day of action.  Let’s make this a
special P4P.  Sign-making party Friday night at
Ricky’s house, phone calls needed
(baldwinricky at yahoo.com or 328-3037 if you want to
help).
We could try bringing out GEO and UPE people, as well
as other union connections.
April 28 is Workers’ Memorial Day, commemorating
workers killed or injured on the job.

Discussion of better procedures for documentation of
incidents with police.  Ideas include
- having someone in charge of documentation
- cell phone, video camera, forms for documenting
incidents at all events
- central contact for record keeping
- press charges and be ready to follow up
- other ways of dealing with the police?

Lawyer-
Further discussion of retaining a lawyer.

Citizens’ Police Review Board-
Meeting Tuesday at 7pm (details posted separately).
Sister Carol of Citizens for Equity and Justice
scheduled to meet with CCPRB.

Tabling & literature-
Some folks are working on new literature.  Common
Dreams suggested.  There are many events coming up
that are opportunities for tabling and literature.
Farmers’ Market to begin in mid-May.  Palestinian
literature/ Palestinian events have been successful.

Discussion of Daily Illini article on “Army of One”.
Discussion of Department of Advertising working on
ROTC ads.

AIDS Walk - Al comments that our outreach is having an
effect.

Grassroots organizing conference on Iraq in
Bloomington May 28-31.

Student Peace Action is having a die-in at the Armory
on campus April 29 at noon.

Mock weapons inspection - The Engineering Dept. here
is a major DoD research site.

Wednesday at 3 pm Slavoj Zizek speaking IPRH.

Wed. at 3pm GEO at Swanlund Administration Building.

Aisha Iman - Thursday at 7:30 pm on African Women’s
Issues.

###