[Peace] AWARE Minutes 8/16

jandurl jandurl at insightbb.com
Mon Aug 16 09:11:37 CDT 2004

AWARE Minutes: August 15, 2004

Facilitator: Durl Kruse

Minutes: Bill Kelleher

INTRODUCTIONS: approximately 15 present

NEWS OF THE WEEK: "Carl E. highlighted ten news items of the week in ten minutes!".

ACTION ITEMS FROM PREVIOUS WEEK:

-After a brief discussion, AWARE approved sending UFPJ a $100 to support the mass anti-Bush rally at the RNC in NY on August 29th.

-Action postponed on discussion of donation to IMC. A representative from the IMC will answer questions from AWARE members at its August 29th meeting.

WORKING GROUP REPORTS:

-P4P: No new updates, but a suggestion was made to consider a P4P protest on Saturday, October 30th before the presidential election.

-Farmer's Market: Events at Farmer's Market are going well. A schedule for volunteers to cover the table has been circulated. One vendor offered to give away vegetables to any person carrying a "Regime Change" yard sign. David G. has maintained the button supply, Jan W. the bumper stickers, and Jan K. the yard signs. AWARE took in $360 this past Saturday at the Market, a new record! Our new pamphlet was also on display for the first time. The Bangladeshi student group also had materials at our table for the flood relief effort.

-Legal Committee: No report.

-WILL Commentaries: Representatives from WILL we be at our next meeting on August 22nd. It is important that as many AWARE members as possible be present. They will be addressing our concerns regarding their new policy governing local commentaries and foreign issues. It was mentioned that WILL may be discontinuing the program "Black Perspectives" and that this should be clarified at our meeting also.

-Democracy NOW on UPTV: No new information, but everyone reminded and encouraged to attend the noon Commission meeting on September 13th if possible.

-AWARE Table at the ART Theatre: The "Corporation" starts this Friday and AWARE will maintain a somewhat modified tabling presence at the ART during this showing. Jan K. would talk to Colleen, the ART asst. manager, to coordinate activities and Carl E. will provide new information for the table. AWARE has agreed to flier the movie "Corporation" at the Farmer's Market in exchange for maintaining the table in the theatre.

-Financial Report: Linda Evans reported that we had approximately $1700 in our checking account.

MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS:

-Paul Patton has completed a new pamphlet on the Bush Nuclear Policy. He will post it to the Peace Discuss list for people to review. Forward comments to Paul. The pamphlet will be discussed at our next meeting.

-Quad Day Tabling: Durl K. will contact Michael Simon to see if he has made arrangements for an AWARE table on Quad Day, August 24th. Volunteers to help may be necessary. We can only distribute information, not sell anything during Quad Day.

-A sign-up sheet to help cover the table during the Urbana Sweetcorn Festival was passed around. David G. has agreed to setup and takedown the tabling materials. Help is still welcomed!

NEW IDEAS:

-It was asked if we have an arrangement for discussing and organizing ideas for pre-AWARE meeting educational events from 3:00-5:00 e.g. presentations, panel discussions, watching videos, etc. Suggested the possibility of creating a working group to explore these options and to formalize this process.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

-August 24 Quad Day

-August 24 CU at the Altar Event, UU Green Street Church, contact Kim Kranich for reservations.

-August 247/28 Urbana Sweetcorn Festival

-September 12 3:00 pm before the AWARE Meeting, "Anyone but Bush" vs " Opposition to Lesser Evilism" panel discussion at IMC.

-October 2 Urbana Street Theater Festival?????

FINAL NOTE:

Durl K will post the agenda for the next AWARE meeting. Forward any agenda requests to him at jandurl at insightbb.com We do need volunteers to step forward to assist as facilitators and notetakers at upcoming meetings.