[Peace] Announcing: CU Against RNC: days of action

Zachary C. Miller zach at chambana.net
Wed Aug 25 14:54:33 CDT 2004

C-U against the RNC: Days of Action

Concerned Champaign-Urbana residents are invited to publicly
demonstrate against the Republican National Convention this weekend.

These demonstrations will draw specific attention to the last four
years of US government policies that have caused destruction and
division in our community and around the world.

In response, we reject the violence of our current government and
embrace the tradition of civil disobedience protected by our
constitution.

--On Friday August 27:

5:15 at the Alma Mater (Green and Wright)

Join Critical Mass for their monthly bike ride, this time against
authoritarian environmental devastation of our ruling party.

Make a sign, banner, or T-shirt to bring to Saturday's demonstrations.

--On Saturday August 28:

11am @ Scott Park (Third and Springfield, Champaign)

Join Critical Mass again for a pep ride to gather support for the
following rally against the ruling elites.

1pm @ Scott Park

Rally for non-republicans and national convention-less peoples.  Bring
a battery powered boom-box with a radio.  Let the folks in washington
hear you yell.

2pm @ Scott Park

March from the rally point across CU to Scott Park.  Demonstrate to
our community how seriously this affects all of us.

4pm @ Scott Park

Bazaar and "really really really free market."  Books to Prisoners,
the U-C Independent Media Center, Food not Bombs, A.W.A.R.E., Radical
Cheerleaders, the Women?s Booking Collective, the Teen Awareness Group
of Planned Parenthood, the Poppycock Collective, Critical Mass, the
Anarchist Study Group and other local organizations will highlight
their efforts for democratic reform.  All interested parties are
invited to attend a table.  These local organizations and individuals
share their conversation and skills in exchange for more sharing.
Exchange wisdom for your favorite Bush-ism, or just give away
something special.  Food will be cooked and served by Food not Bombs
in exchange for anything or nothing.

Remember, direct action is protected by the constitution: "Congress
shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

This weekend Champaign-Urbana residents will voice their petition in
the streets.  For more information about how to participate, how to
help out, or press, contact Sarah: lazare at uiuc.edu