[Peace] Re: UBA Letter

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 5 20:46:32 CST 2004

Mort,

Thanks for your excellent letter.  I liked the ideas we discussed
tonight, essentially a two track strategy.  I am pleased that a group
is going to meet with Mr. Stevens to press him on opening up, and at
the same time, I think we should press the issue by going to "sell" our
post cards, and everything else on our literature table, including all
our pamphlets for 1 cent each.  If they throw us out, we we just get
more publicity.

On Dec 3, 2004, at 11:22 AM, Morton K.Brussel wrote:

> I received the following letter from Paul Tatman, Board President of
> the Urbana Business Ass'n.
>
> November 28, 2004
>

> Thank you for your recent letter regarding the Market In The Square. I
> appreciate your position concerning policies governing the indoor
> market. As you are aware, there are inherent differences between the
> outdoor market and the indoor market. The outdoor market is held on
> public property and is completely accessible to the public, including
> vendors, nonprofit groups and shoppers.
>
> The indoor market is held on private property that creates certain
> parameters that do not apply to the outdoor market. The property of
> Lincoln Square management is very clear. Political groups are not
> allowed to participate in political activities inside the mall.
>
> The Market in the Square is meant for vendors wishing to sell
> locally-made and locally-grown products to shoppers inside the mall.
> The Management reserves the right to approve or deny individual
> vendors based on mall policies.
>
> Lincoln Square has shown committed support for nonprofit and community
> groups over the years and will continue to do so.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Paul Tatman
> Board President
> Urbana Business Association
>
> Nothing new here. There is no attempt to reconcile our requests with
> their rigid(?) rules, to admit that in fact the public subsidizes the
> Mall operation with its business and (perhaps?) with its taxes. Nor is
> their any attempt to define what is encompassed by "political"
> (Girl/boy scouts?, VFW?, church groups?,…). Does political mean
> "controversial" to somebody or other?
>
> So, quoting Lenin, "What is to be done?".
>
> Our original letter is attached:<Market in the Mall
> mkb.doc>_______________________________________________
> Peace mailing list
> Peace at lists.chambana.net

Al Kagan